cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Here is my one - rotates between WAN (with interface utilisation) and Service Status (with configurable notes)

DBv2_exploded.jpg

24 Replies
Level 7

When you say groups are you referring to the groups built within the web Orion interface or did you build a new group in Atlas? I assume when you launch atlas there is an option to bring in the group created so you have the highest level status.

0 Kudos

Orion Group.

In Atlas I simply link Orion Group to Atlas icon so that when group status changes - Atlas icon also change color

0 Kudos

Hi Alex, I am able to show status change for nodes going offline but is it possible to depict a change in group blob when a member volume or memory usage changes ?

0 Kudos

ttbounty‌, this has been my #1 challenge for quite a long time. As of now I have moved on from simply displaying child status to more advanced setup, where blobs will display if there are any active alerts sitting on any child nodes.

In your case however, the easiest would be to add ALL volumes and ALL memory and ALL apps which belongs to those nodes you have in a specific group. This way status of child will be propagated up and inherited by blob. Obviously use dynamic rules for this. Check this thread for more info: Re: How to create alert for group with nodes and applications

First problem you will hit straight away - when you build dynamic group based on Application, you cannot filter by Node's custom properties Lack of functionality in SW and this has been requested as a feature ( , ). I have a working workaround for this, where I feed all Node's CPs into Application CP and then use this info on Application level to filter. This is done by SQL job, which runs every 5 minutes. Sounds a bit confusing and complicated,  I know, and it is unfortunately. I will create an article with more details as soon as I get a chance. Ideally, of course, we need this feature by design.

Second problem - even when you add all your volumes and all your interfaces - THEY WILL NOT turn red upon threshold breach... bang-bang... so, even when you will have them as a child - you have no way of knowing that traffic is high or volume is at 0%.  They will only turn yellow/red when there is an issue of querrying them, such as Interface being down for example. Well, at least something.... Not good enough for me however

Anyway, I think I should publish version 2 for this dashboard, as it works so well - I hope it will do good job for you as well. As soon as I get a chance - I will do so

0 Kudos
Level 7

Can I ask how you created the large icons for status of E-Mail, File Servers, etc?  I have a list of about 9 applications that I have a tab for but would like to provide an overview of both hardware and application health?  All I can seem to find is a way to report on hardware or application but not both?

0 Kudos

Every blob on this map is a group. In Atlas you simply set this group to trigger status change of the blob

The group itself has dynamic rules which picks up all necessary resources (nodes, volumes, apps, hardware, etc) based on Node's custom property [Role]. So, basically, the moment our engineers select specific role for the node (say "Email") - we get all resources from this node AND node itself as a member of the group EMAIL. Boom!

There is one caveat however - you cannot pick applications, nor you can pick volumes or interfaces based on Node's custom properties dynamically. Ooopss... What we do in this case is a bit of an advanced approach - we have additional custom properties for volume, application and interface which simply hold a long string of all combined custom properties from the node. This is done with a bit of SQL fiddling (I need to publish an article on it at some point). So, now, when we have information about node's custom properties inside Volume custom proeprty - we can filter on it, other wise node's custom properties won't show up

Sorry if this is not 100% clear - as I said - I need to summarize this in a new article one day

Alex

0 Kudos

For you to keep it simple - simply add all the stuff that you want to monitor directly into group and then use this group as a status for the blob when building Map in Atlas. You can automate this later

0 Kudos
Level 13

Did you say they rotate? How did you do that?

0 Kudos

NPM 10.7 brings the ability to have automatically rotating NOC views. Particularly useful if you've only got the one wallboard in your NOC!

0 Kudos

Rotating views are awesome even when you have lots of screen real estate on a wall.  I think it keeps people on their toes a bit more if the views are not completely static.

0 Kudos

This is new feature in SAM 6.1. You can find it under "Customize Page" link

001.JPG

0 Kudos
Level 11

Nice one! May I ask, how did you achieve the dashboard notes on the Service Status map?

0 Kudos

Thank you for the question - that was a creative one. My main goal was to make it extremely easy for Service Desk to share key critical messages with only few clicks, so, here is what I did:

1. Add new node with 127.0.0.3 IP and make it EXTERNAL, call it "Dashboard Notes"

2. Create new view (settings > add new view), call it "Dashboard Notes View". Type of view should be set to 'Node Details'

3. Now, interesting part - there is no way you can assign specific view to specific object, hence my vote up for an idea request here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3563

--- workaround: you can only assign view based on "Machine Type" (aka "Vendor") name. So, let's go and changeMachine Type for this node directly in SQL. Because node is set to EXTERNAL it will never be polled nor will ever be rediscovered and therefore our customized vendor will stick there. Call it "Dashboard Notes"

001.JPG

002.JPG

--- once done - go to SETTINGS > VIEWS BY DEVICE and assign "Dashboard Notes" view to "Dashboard Notes" machine type

4. Now go to your node and configure your view the way you want it. I have removed everything and added three "Edit Custom Node Property" resources, which are linked to 3 different text-based custom properties (use any, regardless of the real purpose)

5. The last step is to add this on the map. Once object is on the map - right-click > ADD LABEL

That's how I see it in Orion Network Atlas:

003.JPG

This is the result on Service Desk screen:

004.JPG

This is what Service Desk support get's when they click on the icon of a man - they can update any message pretty much with one click

005.JPG

Hi ALex how did you query SQL to locate Dashboard Notes?

0 Kudos

just filter by NodeID - notice this is done on the screenshot above, in the upper-right corner (Filter = 724 for Node ID). In your case ID will obviously be different. Just check ID first - go to your node and notice this ID in URL

0 Kudos

Alex thank you for sharing

0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing!

0 Kudos

Alex, that's excellent! Thanks very much for sharing.

0 Kudos

That looks great! I like the Dashboard Notes feature!

Level 10

Great looking NOC view! How are you drawing the interface utilization on the map?

0 Kudos