Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SolarWinds Certified Professional Launch

OFFICIAL UPDATE HERE: SolarWinds Certified Professional Exams are Live

Hi everyone!

It’s taken a lot of sweat, many late nights, and a few thousand cups of coffee, but we’re thrilled to announce our new and improved SolarWinds Certified Professional program! Beginning on February 15, 2018, you can register to take the NPM or SAM exam and show that you have the right stuff when it comes to using SolarWinds products.

You inspire us! Our goal was to build a next-level certification program that encourages your success and makes you proud. We’ve created a subscription plan that offers access to SCP training and events. Use our new product-specific exam preparation guides (NPM and SAM) as a starting point for your studies and to be sure you’re focusing on the right knowledge areas.

Check out our FAQs to learn more.  Can’t find an answer to your question? Ask us here on THWACK.

Your success is our goal!

Thanks,

Cal

Update:

Hello everyone, I’ve seen your comments and value your feedback. I would like to add more context about the new SCP subscription program.

When you sign up for your SCP certification exam, the fee is $200 USD including a yearly subscription to the program.

You have two options:

1. Take the SCP exam and receive a one-year subscription that includes the options linked in my original post. If you choose not to participate in the subscription the subsequent years, you are SCP certified for 3 years from your SCP pass date. If you do not renew your subscription for year 2, you must retake the exam in year 3 to maintain your SCP status.
  2. Take the SCP exam and receive a one-year subscription that includes the options linked in my original post.  As long as you remain active in the subscription program and meet the training requirements, your certification is valid. 

The subscription does not auto-renew. If you take multiple product-exams in one year, the subscription fee is only $200 USD per subsequent year. For example, if you take the NPM and SAM exams in the first year, your total cost is $400. To maintain both certificates in subsequent years, it is a flat $200 USD.

Our team made the difficult decision to move to a fee-based exam so that we could offer a program that provides our users a valuable experience that encourages growth. We know that IT is not a stagnate industry and that IT professionals must always be up-to-date with the latest IT innovations. We want you to succeed and this subscription program has the tools to aid in your success.

I believe this program has a lot of value for our customers and I hope that I can prove that to you all.

119 Replies

Yep $85 for life for the CISSP.  (ISC)2 AMF is $100 for CCSP.

So for me it is $185 for life......because I never want to take them again.

RT

Level 9

I have to say you broke my heart and gave in Solarwinds. The SCP was free and challenged individuals per their merit. Now you are challenging people based on their paycheck. I must congratulate you for joining the ranks of other vendors at last. It is a pity to see this happen. Sure $200 may not seem like a lot but it is the prospect of paying your way for resume fillers. At the very least, thank you for maintaining the duration of the certification and not dropping it down to a 2-year.

Level 11

So if I am reading this right, To get SCP status for NPM and SAM, it will cost a total of $400. It will then cost another $400 per year to maintain SCP status?

No, it sounds like you can pay an additional $200 to take two exams at the same time, but the yearly subscription is still only $200 after that. All you are doing is paying for a yearly subscription which includes a single exam, so if you want an additional exam in that same year that cost $200 which seems a lot as not many people are going to want to wait a year in between each exam.

- David Smith
0 Kudos
Level 20

Maybe I'm missing something... has the SCP exam always cost money before?  It looks like it's 200$ a year now with the new system?

0 Kudos
Level 11

It used to be $150 then company moved to 3x free attempts.

I might be wrong but this is how I read it:

Year 1 = $200 - You will get the initial subscription which includes 1 exam + 1 retake (ie NPM)

Year 2 = $200 - You get renewed subscription which includes an additional exam +1 retake (ie SAM)

Year 3 = $200 - You get renewed subscription which includes an additional exam +1 retake (ie NTA)

To keep your certification valid you need an active subscription & attend refresher training. Otherwise your certificate will expire 3 years from the date of issue.

This raises the following questions for me:

1) If you want to take multiple exams at the same time then there isn't as much motivation to keep an active subscription every year. They should look at a discount per additional module purchased in bulk.

2) How many modules do they plan to rollout? If the plan is an exam per module it's going to get really expensive.

- David Smith
Level 10

Good points - thank you

0 Kudos
Level 15

Thanks Cal!

Level 11

Great news cal.smith​!

How does this new certification is related to the old one?

This means the old cert (SCP?) automatically expired and is not valid anymore? (Thinking about people who passed old cert exam)

Cheers,

Mateusz

Level 9

The old exam covered monitoring and networking skills.  The new exams will be product specific.

The old SCP is valid until the expiration on your certificate.  You will not receive any of the benefits of the new program with the old certification.

Thanks,

Cal

Level 9

So if I take this exam and pass it, and Solarwinds decides to come out with a new one next year you[re saying I wouldn't be eligible for any of the benefits for the new material either?

With SCP now being product specific, the only thing that is likely to change is the questions in the exam. If you have already passed the SCP in a product/s then it will either be valid for 3 years or if you maintain a subscription will continue to be valid all the while you follow the training. The training material will be kept up to date and aligned to any changes applied in the exam.

Level 9

Is there a one stop study guide material source for the NPM exam? or it is just randomly finding videos and links on this site?

Level 7

0 Kudos