Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

SolarWinds Certified Professional Launch

OFFICIAL UPDATE HERE: SolarWinds Certified Professional Exams are Live

Hi everyone!

It’s taken a lot of sweat, many late nights, and a few thousand cups of coffee, but we’re thrilled to announce our new and improved SolarWinds Certified Professional program! Beginning on February 15, 2018, you can register to take the NPM or SAM exam and show that you have the right stuff when it comes to using SolarWinds products.

You inspire us! Our goal was to build a next-level certification program that encourages your success and makes you proud. We’ve created a subscription plan that offers access to SCP training and events. Use our new product-specific exam preparation guides (NPM and SAM) as a starting point for your studies and to be sure you’re focusing on the right knowledge areas.

Check out our FAQs to learn more.  Can’t find an answer to your question? Ask us here on THWACK.

Your success is our goal!

Thanks,

Cal

Update:

Hello everyone, I’ve seen your comments and value your feedback. I would like to add more context about the new SCP subscription program.

When you sign up for your SCP certification exam, the fee is $200 USD including a yearly subscription to the program.

You have two options:

1. Take the SCP exam and receive a one-year subscription that includes the options linked in my original post. If you choose not to participate in the subscription the subsequent years, you are SCP certified for 3 years from your SCP pass date. If you do not renew your subscription for year 2, you must retake the exam in year 3 to maintain your SCP status.
  2. Take the SCP exam and receive a one-year subscription that includes the options linked in my original post.  As long as you remain active in the subscription program and meet the training requirements, your certification is valid. 

The subscription does not auto-renew. If you take multiple product-exams in one year, the subscription fee is only $200 USD per subsequent year. For example, if you take the NPM and SAM exams in the first year, your total cost is $400. To maintain both certificates in subsequent years, it is a flat $200 USD.

Our team made the difficult decision to move to a fee-based exam so that we could offer a program that provides our users a valuable experience that encourages growth. We know that IT is not a stagnate industry and that IT professionals must always be up-to-date with the latest IT innovations. We want you to succeed and this subscription program has the tools to aid in your success.

I believe this program has a lot of value for our customers and I hope that I can prove that to you all.

119 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Level 13

cal.smith​,  are there any updates on providing more information on the benefits of what the new SCP entail?

I think I can accurately say the consensus is overwhelming negative towards the new SCP from the THWACK community, mainly around the $200/year price point.

Are there plans to lower this amount or maybe make it $200 every 3 years?

BillFitz_Loop1​, I remember reading a posting from you concerning information about a collaboration with SolarWinds and Loop1 to offset the cost of the Cert. I'm not able to find this post anymore so, is this no longer being pursued?

0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

I will be posting another thread shortly.  The program has always allowed for you to pay $200 for the exam and it will be good for three years.  You do not need to pay anything else.  The benefits of the subscription in years 2-3 would not be available to you though.

Thanks,

Cal 

The PSI exam registration is confusing.  I expected to register and pay $200 for 1 exam AND a retake.  The registration page looks like below and gives the impression each attempt is a $200 fee.

pastedImage_0.png

Are there any THWACKsters with advice?

Level 8

Does PSI report the exam scores directly back to Solarwinds and do we get a copy sent to us? I took the NPM exam today, and although I think I passed (I saw the word "Congratulations" in the final exam screen, but I only skimmed the last page and now I am second guessing myself), I didn't' get an email from PSI with an exam breakdown or score, the status of the exam from their site doesn't show it, and it'd obviously not showing in my Thwack account as of yet.

Am I just being impatient?

0 Kudos

The PSI site will not tell you the score or whether you passed or not.  I'm assuming it's tied to the rule they have about no taking a screenshot of the results page.

I took mine yesterday and I got my digital badge and certificate today, so the turn around is fairly quick.

Hi tking,

We'll check on that and get back to you.

Thanks!

Nanette

0 Kudos

I would like to introduce the newest inductee to the SolarWinds SCP family..... ME!  Just passed SAM.

Hey Welcome to the Club

- David Smith
0 Kudos

mprobus - Any tips? I just booked for next week and I'm going into this pretty blind.

0 Kudos

Depending on your SAM Knowledge I would say - don't go into it blind lol. There is the odd Orion core question, but a majority of the questions are very module specific for SAM - So if you had never had hands-on check the exam prep guide produced by SolarWinds.

- David Smith

Congrats! 

0 Kudos

Congrats!

0 Kudos

Congratulations!

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have registered twice but not heard anything did this actually launch on the 15th or was that just to register?

Thanks

0 Kudos

had an email as if by magic

0 Kudos
Level 13

In additional thought related to the idea presented of tying this certification to your companies license.  What happens if any of us were to change jobs?  Instant loss of access to whatever benefits there were of the annual subscription due to our status as SolarWinds admins for a specific company?  I am not really in favor of tying my certification subscription and access to the subscription benefits if tied to the company I happen to be with at the time, and loosing that if I were to change companies.

As I have noted before, my employer of the last 14 years only looked at my certifications during my original hire.  Actually, the computer filter and HR did, my CIO was already aware of my skills, but I had to go through the "process".  After that, certifications and renewal were on me, if I wanted to maintain them.  They encourage continuing learning and if the annual budget process doesn't cut training funding, they would send me to new training, but not really existing (read re-certification).

John Handberg
0 Kudos
Level 10

0 Kudos
Level 8

To start unlike most commenting I am not already SCP certified because I just recently started my adventure into SolarWinds.  I'd like to say that this is a great product, the amount of modules that you can add in and utilize is astounding.  With that being said I would have loved to become SCP.  What I dont understand is the subscription program.  How is this subscription any different than the subscriptions added on to my employer's purchase of all the modules we use.  We already have maintenance plans and with that access to the training and support that we need.  What will this subscription do for me each year other than maintain my certification.  I can understand the initial $200 cost for the exam, CISCO and CompTIA do the same.  But why not do continuing education like CompTia with the $50 per year for the 3 years renewal fees like they did or even just make people re-certify like CISCO does.  To me that seems a lot more reasonable than $200 a year.  However I could be missing the most important aspect which is the subscription service.  What do I get from this subscription, is it worth paying the $200 a year.  From what I read in the post and announcement you aren't selling me on why I should want to pay for the subscription when I get a lot of those services already with my employers purchases. 

0 Kudos