cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jspanitz
Level 14

is FSM dead?

Jump to solution

It's been 10 months since the last major release. Other products are seeing 6 month update cycles.  There isn't even a beta to indicate the product is even being worked on.  We've been waiting patiently for an update to support a newer version of an existing supported product to no avail. And this is for a product that is security focused, so you'd think it would see updates quicker than, rather than less than other Solarwinds products.

Can we get a refund since we just picked this up a few months ago?

20 Replies
colby
Level 16

Re: is FSM dead?

Jump to solution

Hey John,

We are currently working on an FSM release that includes some of the items listed in our What are we working on for FSM, after v6.6? (Updated October 26, 2014)‌ page. We're focusing mostly on device support for Check Point and then support for PCI v3.0 rule checks, after that we may get a chance to look into ASA v9 and potentially a few other things. We can't promise dates and the release isn't imminent, but there is active development underway.

Yeah, it's been a while. Sometimes the general "6 month" guide will fluctuate depending on product lifecycles, we're definitely in a longer one right now for FSM.

Highlighted
rdollins
Level 9

Jump to solution

All

I vote this product is dead. We own NPM, NCM, IPAM and NTA, they all get updated regularly. FSM does not produce regular updates and does not show any promise. Even statements by the Product manager are not enthusiastic. """ after that we may get a chance to look into ASA v9 and potentially a few other things""""...  (meaning this potential is years away)   ASA Version 9 has been out forever and a day. and you MAY get a chance to look at it? Seriously ?

And to answer you second question, sorry most likely you cant have a refund.

Rick

smoked_angus
Level 12

Jump to solution

I am disappointed that FSM is not being worked on more aggressively. I really want FSM in my platform, but our Security team kicked it out of consideration with out Palo Alto monitoring.

Capt._Obvious
Level 11

Jump to solution

We are currently looking for beta testers for the upcoming version of FSM.

rschroeder
Level 21

Jump to solution

I've got a number of ASA 5555's, 5545's and 5525's (all 'X" models) going online next month.  All will be Version 9.  I've been anticipating using FSM, and I'm disappointed to hear others aren't happy with its progress, and to read ASA 9 is not yet covered.  Contact me for beta testing if I can help.

0 Kudos
CourtesyIT
Level 15

Jump to solution

rschroeder‌ I am sorry you have those ASA's coming online next month.  Although it may be a fine device and the education behind it is extensive, we have had issues over the years with the java applet asdm runs on.  We moved to Palo Alto's and Fortinets.  I understand that this does not help with the continuing development of the FSM product, but be assured that development is continuing and will catch up some time in the future.  I am hoping they will be able to support other firewall vendors with the next release, if not I am sure it is in the works. 

rschroeder
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's true, ASA's weren't my choice.  I've had great satisfaction and security from the DARPA offspring formerly known as Sidewinders.  I've been running single or peer-to-peer HA Sidewinders for sixteen years with very few complaints.

But our shop has recently gone nearly 100% Cisco, and ACS and ISE and UCI considerations forced the latest generations of Sidewinders, now called McAfee Firewall Enterprise appliances, to the side.  I like the Sidewinder's history of never having been broken through, and their backup & restore options, and the huge suite of applications and services they support.  I'll miss that.

The Cobra GUI for Sidewinders was powerful and intuitive, and pretty much eliminated any need for CLI controls, although CLI via KVM and SSH are still supported 100% on them, and I use CLI for tasks I've just become accustomed to over time.  This is another thing I'll miss.

I don't like the Sidewinder's failover capabilities as much as I do the ASA's.  And the Sidewinders can't interface with NCM.

But owning them kept their price point extremely low and attractive, beating out ASA's by a long shot once you added in the modules to the ASA's to give them the functionality that's already in the box with the 'Winders.  The ASA's will have a long learning curve, and my Sidewinder skill sets aren't specifically transferable to Cisco IOS.

ASA's use a completely different philosophy and command syntax. I'll be relying heavily on the expertise of others to get them going.

That which does not grow and change stagnates and dies.  My going to ASA's is the result of McAfee's support solution degrading as Secure Computing was taken over by McAfee, and by McAfee not growing and changing the Sidewinders to be more compatible with the Cisco world.  Best Of Breed solutions are nice, and Sidewinders have always fit my security needs AND budget better than any other product in the Gartner Reports Magic Quadrants--and I've researched the top six vendors as ranked by Gartner every year to ensure my organization has the right product in place.

Ah, well, change is the rule of the day.  I wouldn't be in this industry if I didn't enjoy new technologies and challenges.

Although sometimes I'd be willing to call it good at just getting new fishing technologies and techniques and locations down pat.

;^)

Swift packets, all!

whlamb
Level 7

Jump to solution

I inquired to our SolarWinds sales person about Firewall Security Manager and was told:

"Unfortunately we have end of life that product and don’t have any solutions that provide that type of functionality." 

Since I can't buy FSM what other products would you recommend?  We have Cisco 5508-X with Firepower. One stand alone, two in an HD config.

We have a requirement to do quarterly firewall configuration audits but only one Network Engineer so I am looking for a tool that would help someone else evaluate the firewall configurations.

We use the SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager so something that worked with that would be good but not a requirement.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
rschroeder
Level 21

Jump to solution

If SW doesn't have FSM in its arsenal, we'll have to go without.  One can only hope the Cisco equivalent is user-friendly.  (Hah!   Cisco "user-friendly"!  Ha-ha-ha!)