cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp
Level 12

Re: Copy/Paste for all Solarwinds products

Denny, my response to your question is; "ALL copy and paste operations in ALL Solarwinds products".

Load some up, do some copy and pasting as if you're trying to record some data for a script somewhere.

EXAMPLE:  Custom SQL query in database manager: "select * from Interfaces Where NodeID =11", and try to copy some fields a few times.  You're sure to have a crash for a runtime error.  Copy operations are so bad in this application that I simply do not copy any data at all into the clipboard.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Orion custom properties editor.  View a node list.  Make ac ustom property,  "City", and fill it in once.  (Ex: Winnipeg).  Copy this field once (Ctrl+c) and try to paste it somewhere else.  You'll notice your clipboard is empty 9/10 times, requiring mulitple Ctrl+C's just to get it to stick.

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds Map Editor.  Copy a node object or a group of nodes, and paste it.  This will work maybe 5 times and the application will quit, hard.

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds switchport mapper.  Copy a few rows.  This will also crash after a few times with a runtime error.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Cirrus script editor.  Write a simple script, and try to copy it from the script editor and into notepad, or duplicate some results.  Copy will not work 9/10ths of the time and your buffer will be empty.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Orion system manager.  Copy an SNMP community string from one node and paste it to the other.  The clipboard will not pick up the new SNMP community 9/10 times.  (Doublechecked; SNMP Communities do not have this problem)

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds Orion system manager, graph view. Copy to clipboard right-click operation doesn't work every time, clipboard turns out to be empty.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Engineers netflow editor.  Try to copy the system names of a top 10 object.  The application will either crash with a runtime error, or not copy anything at all.

--Proof of concept of the solarwinds orion copy paste is easy to do but one i am not willing to replicate due to paid-for software:  Install any solarwinds trial software, and try to copy some data.  "Solarwinds <xx> trial edition does not allow you to copy any data, please purchase the full product" or some variation thereof.

0 Kudos
denny.lecompte
Level 19

I was creating several graphs in System Manager and cutting/pasting them into a word document.  After doing this for about three graphs on the fourth when I clicked on copy system manager shut down after an error.  Don't have the error code at the moment.

I'm curious.  Why use System Manager for graphs? What's the advantage of SM over the web console?

In map maker when cutting and pasting information I use in the labels, I have had the same experience several times where I would od a few with no issue and then on the next one the program throws out an error and shutdown mapmaker in very unceremonious way.

OK.  I'll see if we can reproduce. 

0 Kudos
jp
Level 12

>>I'm curious.  Why use System Manager for graphs? What's the advantage of SM over the web console?

In all due respect, it doesn't matter why the system manager is chosen over the website tool, System Manager will either not pick up the graph or simply crash when it is copied.  This shouldn't happen.  System Manager is also faster than the web console and allows for rapid graph views with more options than the web view.

0 Kudos
bleearg13
Level 14

Denny, my response to your question is; "ALL copy and paste operations in ALL Solarwinds products".

Load some up, do some copy and pasting as if you're trying to record some data for a script somewhere.

EXAMPLE:  Custom SQL query in database manager: "select * from Interfaces Where NodeID =11", and try to copy some fields a few times.  You're sure to have a crash for a runtime error.  Copy operations are so bad in this application that I simply do not copy any data at all into the clipboard.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Orion custom properties editor.  View a node list.  Make ac ustom property,  "City", and fill it in once.  (Ex: Winnipeg).  Copy this field once (Ctrl+c) and try to paste it somewhere else.  You'll notice your clipboard is empty 9/10 times, requiring mulitple Ctrl+C's just to get it to stick.

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds Map Editor.  Copy a node object or a group of nodes, and paste it.  This will work maybe 5 times and the application will quit, hard.

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds switchport mapper.  Copy a few rows.  This will also crash after a few times with a runtime error.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Cirrus script editor.  Write a simple script, and try to copy it from the script editor and into notepad, or duplicate some results.  Copy will not work 9/10ths of the time and your buffer will be empty.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Orion system manager.  Copy an SNMP community string from one node and paste it to the other.  The clipboard will not pick up the new SNMP community 9/10 times.  (Doublechecked; SNMP Communities do not have this problem)

EXAMPLE: Solarwinds Orion system manager, graph view. Copy to clipboard right-click operation doesn't work every time, clipboard turns out to be empty.

EXAMPLE:  Solarwinds Engineers netflow editor.  Try to copy the system names of a top 10 object.  The application will either crash with a runtime error, or not copy anything at all.

--Proof of concept of the solarwinds orion copy paste is easy to do but one i am not willing to replicate due to paid-for software:  Install any solarwinds trial software, and try to copy some data.  "Solarwinds <xx> trial edition does not allow you to copy any data, please purchase the full product" or some variation thereof.

To expand upon this, I've noticed that in Custom Property Editor, if Ctrl+C doesn't work, you have to double-click the custom property, highlight the text, then right-click and select 'Copy', then you can paste the data into other fields.  Everyone here is correct that the copy & paste functionality in, yes, ALL Solarwinds products is quite lacking and buggy and I find it difficult to believe that it can't be reproduced in-house.  If it helps, I'm pretty sure that everyone here is accessing all their SW products through Terminal Services or Remote Desktop, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have provided information to SW before on this and it's never gotten fixed/"reproduced" in-house.

0 Kudos
BryanBecker
Level 12

I thought the copy/paste was a Windows issue for some reason...but I know what people are talking about...I see it too.  I see it alot in Cirrus where I try to copy a device configuration from the server to my local machine or sometime even on the same server.  I try to highlight the text top-down, bottom-up, etc and sometimes it works and others it doesn't.  I agree it can be very frustrating.

BB

0 Kudos
jonchill
Level 13

Is anything being looked at or done with this as it isvery frustrating particularly when your working with custom property editor and trying to paste the same info into half a dozen other cells and also trying to copy in NCM from the config of a switch to a script for uploading 9 times out of ten it won't work.

Please do something about this it would make life so much easier and quicker.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bleearg13
Level 14

Is anything being looked at or done with this as it isvery frustrating particularly when your working with custom property editor and trying to paste the same info into half a dozen other cells and also trying to copy in NCM from the config of a switch to a script for uploading 9 times out of ten it won't work.

Please do something about this it would make life so much easier and quicker.

Yes, please.  I know it's a pain, jonchill, but does my post above work for you in the Custom Property Editor?

0 Kudos
jonchill
Level 13

Bleeard13, yes your workaround does work but not idle.

0 Kudos
ecornwell
Level 12

I just tried to copy from the OID Viewer portion of the trap viewer tool and got the following message:

"Copying to the Windows clipboard is not enabled in the Evaluation version.

You will need to purcahse a license in order to enable all the feature of this program."

We own NPM...

0 Kudos
denny.lecompte
Level 19

Looks like a bug.  Please open a support ticket so that we can track it.

0 Kudos