Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Today is my (THWACK) Anniversary

pastedImage_1.png

It’s now been 11 years since I joined this community.  Eleven years – that’s longer than the length of many IT jobs.  For me, I joined the community to ask what I thought were stupid questions that didn’t qualify for actual support cases.

What I found changed my life in ways I could have never predicted.  I found community, in the purest sense of the world.  My wife says that in THWACK and with SolarWinds, I found my tribe. 

In the intervening 4,017 days, my career trajectory went far afield from where I saw it headed, but it’s been an amazing and wild ride.  From the outside, it’s easy to understand how THWACK has influenced my career, but let me pose this question: How has THWACK helped you and your career since you joined?

"Shoot for the stars to reach the moon"
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Today is my (THWACK) Anniversary

My anniversary is September 20, 2004. 

Thwack's helped me get a lot more out of my Solarwinds products by being a place where I can:

• Ask questions
  • Receive answers more quickly than provided by Solarwinds Support
  • Search for topics, phrases, commands, solutions
  • Download tools (pollers, reports, etc.) created by others and apply them to my environment
  • Learn about changes to product lines
  • Commiserate with my peers about problems my SW environment may be experiencing
  • Help others overcome their challenges by providing timely answers to their questions
  • Make suggestions to improve the product line
  • Earn points that let me get some useful (and non-useful) swag
  • Create a history of answers, questions, suggestions, and more that builds a reputation
  • Compete with others for points and status based on participation in many different areas
  • Submit white papers for review and sharing to make others' lives better
  • Be exposed to industry experts and products with which I'm not familiar
  • Learn best practices
  • Avoid mistakes, or correct them
  • Improve my team's ability to leverage the capabilities of SW products we own
  • Test new products and recommend them for purchase (or not)
  • Take a break from the stress of the day by researching some new technology topic.  e.g.:  Alternate Actuator: The Bacon Edition
  • Let loose the muse:  https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/geek-speak/blog/2019/02/04/network-flow...   or https://thwack.solarwinds.com/polls/2428?sr=search&searchId=89ba4fda-60a7-43df-b67c-67095a0a8890&sea...
  • Be entertained by the creative and nerdy ideas of people who think differently / better than I in so many other areas!
  • See how a product forum SHOULD be run.
Highlighted

THWACK has done so many things for me as a person and a professional, it's difficult to describe how thankful I am.

- Never have to buy shirts, socks, or polos ever again

- I've overcome my horrible presentation anxiety by speaking at SWUGs

- THWACK has pushed me to learn new things like Powershell and APIs, far from the route/switch work I normally do

- Found a sense of community that is so rare, and I cherish it

- Also found hundreds of answers to questions that would otherwise be mysteries

- There's something amazing about seeing your feedback make it into a product

- It's rewarding when you're able to help someone who is in the same shoes you were wearing a few years ago

- I've had the privilege of making many friends and I'll never forget the time we spend together at Solarwinds/THWACK events

- I never would have tried limoncello because I hate lemon flavoring, yet here we are

Highlighted

pastedImage_0.png

I joined Thwack to get answers to questions I had. Little did I know that I would be helping others solve problems, get lots of free stuff, meet new people and learn heaps along the way!

Thwack is thwacktastic

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We're glad to have you hear, you bring a lot to the community.

I agree that Thwack is a true community. When I first joined Thwack I was not expecting a lot. Pretty much every IT community that I have been a part if makes great promises, but in the end provides a stale, non-active little more than FAQ list, lethargic website. Thwack has many active people ready and willing the help and take on others challenges. I've found it fun to be a part of Thwack and both give an take from the community.  

0 Kudos