It’s now been 11 years since I joined this community. Eleven years – that’s longer than the length of many IT jobs. For me, I joined the community to ask what I thought were stupid questions that didn’t qualify for actual support cases.
What I found changed my life in ways I could have never predicted. I found community, in the purest sense of the world. My wife says that in THWACK and with SolarWinds, I found my tribe.
In the intervening 4,017 days, my career trajectory went far afield from where I saw it headed, but it’s been an amazing and wild ride. From the outside, it’s easy to understand how THWACK has influenced my career, but let me pose this question: How has THWACK helped you and your career since you joined?
My anniversary is September 20, 2004.
Thwack's helped me get a lot more out of my Solarwinds products by being a place where I can:
THWACK has done so many things for me as a person and a professional, it's difficult to describe how thankful I am.
- Never have to buy shirts, socks, or polos ever again
- I've overcome my horrible presentation anxiety by speaking at SWUGs
- THWACK has pushed me to learn new things like Powershell and APIs, far from the route/switch work I normally do
- Found a sense of community that is so rare, and I cherish it
- Also found hundreds of answers to questions that would otherwise be mysteries
- There's something amazing about seeing your feedback make it into a product
- It's rewarding when you're able to help someone who is in the same shoes you were wearing a few years ago
- I've had the privilege of making many friends and I'll never forget the time we spend together at Solarwinds/THWACK events
- I never would have tried limoncello because I hate lemon flavoring, yet here we are
I joined Thwack to get answers to questions I had. Little did I know that I would be helping others solve problems, get lots of free stuff, meet new people and learn heaps along the way!
Thwack is thwacktastic
We're glad to have you hear, you bring a lot to the community.
I agree that Thwack is a true community. When I first joined Thwack I was not expecting a lot. Pretty much every IT community that I have been a part if makes great promises, but in the end provides a stale, non-active little more than FAQ list, lethargic website. Thwack has many active people ready and willing the help and take on others challenges. I've found it fun to be a part of Thwack and both give an take from the community.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.