cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Email Custom Property Variable

Jump to solution

Has anyone set an email custom property for an Application object?  I added a new Applications custom property called "Email_Notification", set the email address on the application page, and set the alert up with a variable called ${Email_Notification}.  When I test the alert action I continue to get "The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.".  I've tried several variable iterations and the only one that worked is, ${Node.email}, but falls under the Node custom property time.  I'm wanting Application.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I'm using custom properties in both ways, with a PrimaryContact and a SecondaryContact CP for every node and for every application. To use these values in alert actions, the variable syntax looks like this:

${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.PrimaryContact}

pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies

I'm using custom properties in both ways, with a PrimaryContact and a SecondaryContact CP for every node and for every application. To use these values in alert actions, the variable syntax looks like this:

pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 10

Thanks everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  One thing I found out is that my test environment is not totally configured the same as prod.  I couldn't get ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.<CP Name>} to work, but I added Application in front of CustomProperties and bingo it started working.  The variable ended up being: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email}

Thanks again, I wish these variables were organized a little better.

s-bolyard  wrote:

Thanks everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  One thing I found out is that my test environment is not totally configured the same as prod.  I couldn't get ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.<CP Name>} to work, but I added Application in front of CustomProperties and bingo it started working.  The variable ended up being: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email}

Thanks again, I wish these variables were organized a little better.

Using the syntax of ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email} or ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.CustomProperties.email} has also worked in the past for me.

0 Kudos

they are sorted pretty much in a logical way. I'd suggest you install the SDK and take SWQL Studio to browse your tables.

GitHub - solarwinds/OrionSDK: SDK for the SolarWinds Orion platform, including tools, documentation,...

Intro to SWQL Studio

I think this might help to get a feeling for the naming of variables in the Orion platform.

0 Kudos

Had a similar issue, I created a new custom property for the recipients (like silverbacksays​ mentioned on the node level) that had no underscores in it. It worked with that CP.

Don't know if that is your case here as well but worth a try.

Cheers,

Holger

0 Kudos

When I initially was setting this kind of alert up I had some issues figuring out what the variable was. 

I was following this to set things up - Success Center

But I had to figure out what the actual variable was - To figure it out I went to the alert and in the message hit insert variable and did a search on EMAIL and it brought these up.  Hope this might help. 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

Very odd. What happens if you create the same CP at Node level, but have it also apply to Applications? Do you have the same error?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Not sure I understand the second part.  I added the same CP to the Node level and the message was sent successfully.  I used variable ${Node.Email_Notification} in the To: field of the alert.

Level 10

I wonder if it doesn't work in the Application level like it does in the Node level.

0 Kudos