cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s-bolyard
Level 10

Email Custom Property Variable

Jump to solution

Has anyone set an email custom property for an Application object?  I added a new Applications custom property called "Email_Notification", set the email address on the application page, and set the alert up with a variable called ${Email_Notification}.  When I test the alert action I continue to get "The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.".  I've tried several variable iterations and the only one that worked is, ${Node.email}, but falls under the Node custom property time.  I'm wanting Application.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
silverbacksays
Level 16

Re: Email Custom Property Variable

Jump to solution

Very odd. What happens if you create the same CP at Node level, but have it also apply to Applications? Do you have the same error?

0 Kudos
s-bolyard
Level 10

Jump to solution

Not sure I understand the second part.  I added the same CP to the Node level and the message was sent successfully.  I used variable ${Node.Email_Notification} in the To: field of the alert.

s-bolyard
Level 10

Jump to solution

I wonder if it doesn't work in the Application level like it does in the Node level.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

When I initially was setting this kind of alert up I had some issues figuring out what the variable was. 

I was following this to set things up - Success Center

But I had to figure out what the actual variable was - To figure it out I went to the alert and in the message hit insert variable and did a search on EMAIL and it brought these up.  Hope this might help. 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
HerrDoktor
Level 14

Jump to solution

Had a similar issue, I created a new custom property for the recipients (like silverbacksays​ mentioned on the node level) that had no underscores in it. It worked with that CP.

Don't know if that is your case here as well but worth a try.

Cheers,

Holger

0 Kudos
sturdyerde
Level 13

Jump to solution

I'm using custom properties in both ways, with a PrimaryContact and a SecondaryContact CP for every node and for every application. To use these values in alert actions, the variable syntax looks like this:

${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.PrimaryContact}

${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.PrimaryContact}

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
s-bolyard
Level 10

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  One thing I found out is that my test environment is not totally configured the same as prod.  I couldn't get ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.<CP Name>} to work, but I added Application in front of CustomProperties and bingo it started working.  The variable ended up being: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email}

Thanks again, I wish these variables were organized a little better.

HerrDoktor
Level 14

Jump to solution

they are sorted pretty much in a logical way. I'd suggest you install the SDK and take SWQL Studio to browse your tables.

GitHub - solarwinds/OrionSDK: SDK for the SolarWinds Orion platform, including tools, documentation,...

Intro to SWQL Studio

I think this might help to get a feeling for the naming of variables in the Orion platform.

0 Kudos
sturdyerde
Level 13

Jump to solution

s-bolyard  wrote:

Thanks everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  One thing I found out is that my test environment is not totally configured the same as prod.  I couldn't get ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.<CP Name>} to work, but I added Application in front of CustomProperties and bingo it started working.  The variable ended up being: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email}

Thanks again, I wish these variables were organized a little better.

Using the syntax of ${N=SwisEntity;M=Application.CustomProperties.email} or ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.CustomProperties.email} has also worked in the past for me.

0 Kudos