This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

send an alert email to a group based on a node variable

Hi,

I have been searching but can't find a thread that matches so sorry if this has been asked before.

Also, if i have posted this in the wrong area, let me know.

I would like to be able to make 1 alert for a system/service that sends the alert email to a different group based on a node custom variable.

e.g. if i had 2 SQL servers, 1 for development and 1 for production and they had a node variable where i selected one or the other from a drop down list.

Basically I'd like to set up 1 alert that said If the node goes down and the node.server_type = development email to dev_team@xyz.com, if node.server_type = production email to alerts_group@xyz.com.

Then another alert that said if the SQL application goes down and the node.server_type = development email to sql_dev_team@xyz.com, if node.server_type = production email to sql_alerts_group@xyz.com.

If possible i'd like to store those email addresses as a variable somewhere and also allow for multiple addresses in the variable. e.g. production email to alerts_group@xyz.com, it_team@xyz.com

I just cant get my head around the best way to store the lists (one variable with many entries or several variables with different names) and then picking the correct list in the alert.

Any and all advice and tips gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Ian