cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

sandboxing alerts

Jump to solution

I am new to SW; my group has quite a number of devices being monitored. We run Orion Platform 2013.2.0, SAM 6.0.0, IVIM 1.8.1.

I need to add a new node, a couple of monitors (HTTP, Script) and make sure they bother only me (via email) and no-one else. Is it possible? How? In other words, where do I go to create that special alert that only includes my email address, and marry it to my special node?

I've tried to figure out where the email addresses are and couldn't find it.

Again, apologies for the newbie questions - and TIA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Sounds like you need the application or component alert and include node caption equals (name of your test node) then your email only you alert action

I have several test alerts against my test node like this- I do not know how to keep them out of the active alerts views other then quickly acknowledging them.

You can also enable/disable alert from web which makes quick testing easier

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 13

SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Using Gmail to send Orion alert emails) says, among other things:

1. Log on to your SolarWinds server using an account with adminstrative (sic) privileges.
  2. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Alerting, Reporting, and Mapping > Advanced Alert Manager.
  3. Click Configure Alerts.

Am I right to suspect that to create a custom email alert I have to access the SW server directly and not via SW administrative web GUI? (e.g. "http://SolarWinds/Orion/Admin/AdvAlerts.aspx")

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 13

Am I right to suspect that to create a custom email alert I have to access the SW server directly and not via SW administrative web GUI?

Well that was a "yes", thank you very much.

The next question I have trouble figuring out:

How do I set up a new monitor (say, HTTP) and a custom alert for an existing node (that is already being monitored)?

The idea is that this is a test alert that should not log anything into a general view, or send emails set up via existing alerts.

In other words: how do I set up a custom alert on an existing node?

What I've done so far:

- set up a custom "Alert me when an application goes down" alert that only emails me.

- add an HTTP monitor to an existing node.

Problem: can't see where I specify, which alert to use for this monitor.

Thank you.

P.S. If this a very unusual question? It seems so, from lack of responses.

0 Kudos

Sounds like you need the application or component alert and include node caption equals (name of your test node) then your email only you alert action

I have several test alerts against my test node like this- I do not know how to keep them out of the active alerts views other then quickly acknowledging them.

You can also enable/disable alert from web which makes quick testing easier

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 13

Thank you. I totally missed is that I could add node, application and component names to the trigger conditions. Your answer pointed me in the right direction.

0 Kudos