This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VM Node deleted/unmanaged but still alerting

Note that I am still SUPER NEW to this. Our SolarWinds guy up and left, and didn't provide hand off.

I have three VM's (from an old Citrix environment)  that are decom/turned off permanently. They were deleted from solar winds, but still show active on the hosting machine and are still triggering C:\ drive storage alerts. The alert definition should prevent that as the machines are literally powered down. Any ideas how I can permanently clear these alerts so the monitoring team will stop putting in tickets for them?

• vikkinikki77  wrote:

Note that I am still SUPER NEW to this. Our SolarWinds guy up and left, and didn't provide hand off.

I have three VM's (from an old Citrix environment)  that are decom/turned off permanently. They were deleted from solar winds, but still show active on the hosting machine and are still triggering C:\ drive storage alerts. The alert definition should prevent that as the machines are literally powered down. Any ideas how I can permanently clear these alerts so the monitoring team will stop putting in tickets for them?

hi! so you have a few options.

1. modify the alert definition to exclude powered off VMs.

2. modify the alert definition to only alert on vms with certain properties (e.g. you can utilize custom properties on virtual entities)

• serena

Thanks for the response.

So that is what is so weird.

The alert IS set to exclude powered off nodes. The VM is powered off, but still shows green in SolarWinds.

• vikkinikki77  wrote:

serena

Thanks for the response.

The alert IS set to exclude powered off nodes. The VM is powered off, but still shows green in SolarWinds.

There is a difference between the status shown for nodes vs virtual entities. the green for the node is indicative of the fact that you can ping the node. When you hover over the virtual entity, do you see the powered off state reflected in the hover?

Definitely understand that this is visually confusing, the good news is that for the latest VMAN release (available as a release candidate in your customer portal) we've done some work to fix the visual issues there. If you'd like to give us feedback on that we'd love to see your thoughts on our change in the release candidate forum Virtualization Manager (VMAN) 8.4 Release Candidate is Now Available

•   wrote:

Thanks for the response.

regarding your alert, would you like to share the alert definition you're using?

• first unmanaged it and then delete it i also faced same issue

• naveensingh43  wrote:

first unmanaged it and then delete it i also faced same issue

Do you have a support ticket for the behavior you're seeing? steps to reproduce or additional data?

• Case # 123542

Please follow the steps below to address your concern: 1. Log on as an administrator to the server hosting your SolarWinds Orion installation 2. Navigate to Start > Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager. 3. Select SolarWinds Alerting Service V2. 4. Click Restart. Note: To prevent this issue, unmanage the object on the Web Console before decommissioning it.

• naveensingh43  wrote:

Case # 123542

Please follow the steps below to address your concern: 1. Log on as an administrator to the server hosting your SolarWinds Orion installation 2. Navigate to Start > Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager. 3. Select SolarWinds Alerting Service V2. 4. Click Restart. Note: To prevent this issue, unmanage the object on the Web Console before decommissioning it.

Hi Naveen, that ID doesn't map to the ticket I'd expect. Could you confirm the ticket number?

• Hi Serena,

Which ID are looking for.

• This number: 123542 does not map to an existing support case in our system. Do you have additional information to help us find your ticket?