cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Trap Alert/Filter Variables question

Jump to solution

This is a general how-to question regarding whether or not solarwinds has the ability to pull out a specific section of the $Message instead of the entire message when logging the trap to a log file for example.  When I use the default $Message, all of the OID info including the trap message (basically everything I see in the trap viewer) is written to the log file.  Just wondering if there was a defined variable or way to filter out all the junk and just get the Trap message that was sent by the device.

Thanks for anyones input on this.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

We are currently in beta on this, see here for more info on that release 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
49 Replies

" := " is the delimiter between trap binding names and their respective data.  Does NPM 10 have the ability to pull individual parts of the trap binding data with another set of variables using " ; " as the delimiter?

Not all manufacturers are going to use " ; " as a delimiter, but it would be pretty slick if NPM could do that.

John

0 Kudos

I would also like to see that feature.

Maybe a input field where you could write what char's you want as delimiter.

-Steffen

0 Kudos

This looks like exactly what I need.  Did this make it into the current release and if so, are there some notes about how to use it?

0 Kudos

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but we really need a guide on how to do this as well.  I haven't been able to find any info in the documentation, so if someone could point me the right direction that'd be great.  Right now our alert emails/pages generated from traps (mostly forwarded event logs) are full of unnecessary info and need to be scaled back to something easily comprehended by a human at 2am 🙂

Here is what I was able to find on which variables to use for traps in the email alerts, this was from the release notes when the feature was added...

Using the standard Orion ${vbName1} and ${vbData1}variable format,, trap variable binding names and value pairs are now available as alerting and message variables.

Upgrade to the 10 RC, which should be in your customer portal to check out this new feature.

0 Kudos

I am going to agree with Outsidesys in that having the ability to parse out the different parts of the trap for Alerting, etc would make the product much more powerful.  We also would be able to take advantage of this ability.

0 Kudos

I completely agree with John..the variable method he is refering to is exactly what I am talking about.   If you need someone else to work with for testing/ideas let me know.

0 Kudos

Great, thanks Brian for the confirmation.  I'll reach out to you offline as well.

0 Kudos

I have been working on getting making this our primary trap receiver for a about a year now.  If you need any addtional help I would be happy to share our experience.  On that note the variables thing number one on our wish list right now.

0 Kudos

Great, thanks for feedback.  I've got this as high priority for the next release.  If there are others out there looking for this capability as well, please chime in as I'll want to reach out to the folks on this thread to review prototypes, betas.

0 Kudos

Greetings Chris:

This is something that I could certainly use. We send SMS (text) to our phones, and the large traps cause 2-4 messages to come in for every trap, and they don't display on phones very well. I have worked around some of this by using Syslog alerts for phones, but some of the systems do no lend themselves to generating Syslogs for one reason or another.

If the NPM could receive a trap, and generate a Syslog that would loop back to the NPM, I could work around this in all of my systems. Unfortunately, that is not an option.

I would be interested in participating in betas.

Regards,

Russ

0 Kudos

Hi Chris!  That is exactly what we are looking for!  We used NNM before we moved to Orion and we lost the ability to pull out the variable bindings.  Many of our custom emails went away.  If we could easily use those bindings in the message and as part of the trigger or reset for an alert, it would be exactly what we need!

0 Kudos

outsidesys,

I'm actually working on defining the requirements for enhancing Syslog and SNMP traps for the next major release of Orion.   If you're amenable, I'd like to have a quick call to run through this scenario in more detail.   I'll reach out to you offline via email.

All,

If we were able to deliver what outsidesys suggests above, would this meet your requirements as well?   If not, please describe how your use-case is different or what else you'd like to see.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

The functionality described by outsidesys would be excellent to have. I want to be able to pass specific variable binding values in an email or log file.

Look forward to seeing the results of this stream.

0 Kudos

Chris,

I believe outsidesys has stated the requirements very well. This is a very big issue for my organization as well. The alert variables available for trap actions are very limited and the ones that are available are not very useful. The ability to parse out the varbinds from the trap for the various actions would be very beneficial. If you haven't already completed requirements, please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

0 Kudos

For those still watching the thread, we've got this functionality implemented in the release currently in dev.   If you're interested in walking through a preview demo, please send me an email with available date/times and we'll setup a gotomeeting.

0 Kudos

Chris,

I was just trying to figure out how to to this today. I would love to be able to use this functionality sooner than later.  I need to parse out some iDirect Traps for our operations folks.

Thanks,
Ross Warren 

0 Kudos

Chris - Yes, feel free to contact me at your convenience

Regards,
John

0 Kudos
Level 8

This has been a big issue for us also.  We are trying to move to Solarwinds as our primary trap receiver.  Not being able to define specific variables has forced us too look at other options.

0 Kudos

Anyone know if this limitation will be addressed in version 9 or an upcoming release?  Like you we are in the process of making Solarwinds our primary trap receiver (replacing HP NNM) and this will affect our ability to cleanly make that transition.  NNM has the options we require with pulling out variables within the trap ($1, $2, etc) which represent different parts of the message.  If this isn't already in the development life-cycle, we desperately need this as a product enhancement.

0 Kudos