This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node alert using HW component details

Hi All,

I've got a Node alert working for node up/down events and i'd like to extend it to show hardware component details such as power supply status.

I've created a node event that I know triggers:

pastedImage_0.png

The trigger action is to send an email with the message body:

An issue has been detected at ${N=Alerting;M=AlertTriggerTime;F=DateTime} on ${N=SwisEntity;M=MachineType} device named ${N=SwisEntity;M=Caption} (IP: ${N=SwisEntity;M=IP_Address}, DNS: ${N=SwisEntity;M=DNS})

View full device details here: ${N=SwisEntity;M=DetailsUrl}.

View full alert details here: ${N=Alerting;M=AlertDetailsUrl}

Click here to acknowledge the alert: ${N=Alerting;M=AcknowledgeUrl}

HW details:

Alert ${N=Alerting;M=AlertName} at ${N=Alerting;M=AlertTriggerTime;F=DateTime}

${N=SwisEntity;M=FullyQualifiedName} is ${N=SwisEntity;M=Status;F=Status}

This message was brought to you by the alert named: ${N=Alerting;M=AlertName}

The node is monitored by the polling engine ${N=SwisEntity;M=Engine.ServerName}

However, the actual result simulation (on a node with a failed PSU) just shows:

An issue has been detected at Thursday, 11 April 2019 10:15 on HP 3800 Switch Stack device named SW-203-03-013-01-01 (IP: 10.152.0.21, DNS: )

View full device details here: https://SWIN.FQDN:443/Orion/NetPerfMon/NodeDetails.aspx?NetObject=N:52.

View full alert details here:

Click here to acknowledge the alert:

HW details:

Alert TEST of ## Node is DOWN/UP - Switches SMS Day Hrs at Thursday, 11 April 2019 10:15

${N=SwisEntity;M=FullyQualifiedName} is Up

This message was brought to you by the alert named: TEST of ## Node is DOWN/UP - Switches SMS Day Hrs

The node is monitored by the polling engine SWIN

Can I only solve this with SWQL?  If so, does anyone know what I would look for?

I can workaround this with a specific hardware alert, but that will result in another duplicate set of actions to manage,  using the action manager to enable/disable alerts to the individual engineers.

Any ideas will help!

Thanks

Glen.

• Hi Glen - did you heard anything on this from anyone, since this is a bug and this symptom is there for past 2 years, if we open a support ticket, they will ask to look in this thwack emoticons_happy.png

• Few options it helped in the past, either by removing the node and re-adding will isolate it. but this option is last to go if you depend on historyof data for any performance/capacity purposes.

• Hi

I logged a case with TAC and they reported back that it would be in a future update, when asked when I just got the reply (paraphrasing) "no idea", and when I then asked is there a mailing list I can get on for this I just got "please periodically check the website"

In all, not the best response, considering the HP3810/2930's share the SAME MIB as the supported HP3800 for hardware health.

My case was: 

Case # 00257622 - Solarwinds cannot poll Aruba 3810/2930 switches for hardware health

Glen.

• The issue I had with the alert content was (as I found) I could not use variables for a different type of event for another.  Such as, I could not use node-level variables in an interface-level event.

In that case it is working as designed, but it is just annoying that there's no error -- it simply doesn't print it.

Glen.

• Hi glenp42​ have you checked out the new "Enhanced Node Status" released as part of Orion 2019.2 (NPM 12.5)? This feature allows you to use the Hardware Health to impact the overall Node Status - Best yet, SolarWinds have added new variables that will show you the Child Objects that caused the Node Status change.

Check it out here: Orion Platform 2019.2 - Enhanced Node Status - (Check Alert Macros)

Or check out the full release notes here: Orion Platform 2019.2 Release Notes

This might help resolve your issue emoticons_wink.png