This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need to alert on the value of a custom poller

I have created and assigned a series of custom pollers that collect information about running processes on a server (I don't have APM). I now want to create an alert that will email me when a particular process is NOT running. If I understand the descriptions of the OIDs correctly:

hrSWRunIndex - gives a unique value for each piece of running software

hrSWRunStatus - shows a value of 1 for each piece of software that is currently running

Therefore, I was thinking that the following trigger conditions would fire if the software with an index of 1368 is NOT running. However, when I test it, I cannot get the email to work (I tested other alerts with an email action and they work fine).

Do you see any issues with the Trigger conditions?

Any help would be appreciated.

• This is just a guess on my part but I think the alert is not triggering because, once the process is not running, it no longer has an ID. Therefore, the first trigger condition will not match.

When the process is running (and assuming it retains the same ID when it starts back up), the first condition is true but now, the second isn't because, well, the process is running. So you're sorta in a catch-22 situation here with the alert.

An easy test for this would be to remove the second condition and see if the alert triggers both when the process is running and is not running. Let me know what you find out.