This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring for an export file change

Hi,

Please see the following request.:

We would like to setup a monitoring in Solarwinds for the FX Export job that runs on one of our DB servers.
The job creates a log file every time it runs, and does not when it fails. We need a SolarWinds alert and addition to the victor ops to notify if there is no file generated in the last 5 mins.

Details of the File:
Location of the file: e:\Alaric\FX_Export_Files\logs
Filename: FXexport.YYYYMMDD.hhmmss.log (i.e. FXexport.20200123-21400.log)
Run Frequency: Daily from 0600 -00:00 every 5 mins

Which of the following would provide the best result? (Attached image)

I was thinking File Age Monitor? So how would you enter the File Path? e:\Alaric\FX_Export_Files\logs\FXexport. ?

Would I need a wild card as there are more than one file type in there? The ones we are after are always named FXexport.YYYYMMDD.hhmmss.log. How would I use a wildcard here?

Thanks

Terry

• Found an answer myself.

Just edit the values where appropriate:

# You may want to adjust these

$fullPath = "C:\the filepath"

$numdays = 0

$numhours = 0

$nummins = 0

function ShowOldFiles($path, $days, $hours, $mins)

{$idx = 0

$files = @(get-childitem $path -include *.* | where {($_.LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-$days).AddHours(-$hours).AddMinutes(-$mins)) -and ($_.psIsContainer -eq $false)})

if ($files -ne $NULL)

{

for ($idx = 0; $idx -lt $files.Length; $idx++)

{

$file = $files[$idx]

#write-host ("Old: " + $file.name + $file.lastwritetime) -Fore Red

}

} write-host ("Statistic: " + $idx)

write-host "Message: Whatever the result is to be"

}

ShowOldFiles $fullPath $numdays $numhours $nummins

• It seems that the above did not work, as it cannot detect the E: Drive. I went to SW Support with this and I was told that as far as he knew you couldn't monitor the E: Drive? This seems wrong to me.

• I'm assuming that this folder is not on your Orion server?  If not, then you need to run the PowerShell script in "Remote Host" mode:

KMSigma_0-1583762872379.png

Or, you can run it in "Local Host" mode, if you run it via the Agent.