cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

I'm having some trouble with adding alerts.

Jump to solution

I go through the process of adding all info in each tab. When I get to the summary tab and ready to submit, the number of objects is 0 and shouldn't be. Of course if I submit at this point, the alert is created, but not associated with any object. What's going on here? What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 12

Alerts are not a traditional association to objects.  It is a database query that is run and will return anyone that matches the logic.  Sorry for bad analogy: Shouting into a large room, "who is over 90% CPU", whoever raises their hand is the winner.  It does this every (1 minute by default) in a 'are we there yet, are we there yet' fashion.

The number that populates at the end of the alert builder UI is a helper that lets you know how many would trigger at that moment in time if you hit submit, not the total number of applicable/associated objects.

Can you share some screenshots of what your doing?  Is the alert your crafting expected to fire the moment the alert is generated (ex: making a cpu alert, and you have a switch with 100% at that moment).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 12

Alerts are not a traditional association to objects.  It is a database query that is run and will return anyone that matches the logic.  Sorry for bad analogy: Shouting into a large room, "who is over 90% CPU", whoever raises their hand is the winner.  It does this every (1 minute by default) in a 'are we there yet, are we there yet' fashion.

The number that populates at the end of the alert builder UI is a helper that lets you know how many would trigger at that moment in time if you hit submit, not the total number of applicable/associated objects.

Can you share some screenshots of what your doing?  Is the alert your crafting expected to fire the moment the alert is generated (ex: making a cpu alert, and you have a switch with 100% at that moment).

View solution in original post

Sorry, I had been pulled to another project, but I'm getting back to this one. Actually, I'm more curious if I can create an alert for SQL deadlocks without an actual DPA server. Is this possible?

0 Kudos

Do you have SAM licenses for App Insights for SQL?  That has a deadlock component.

0 Kudos

Yes I do have SAM licensing and am getting data for deadlocks via App Insights for SQL, but have been having problems with properly configuring the alert for that component. I can't seem to get it to recognize the object.

0 Kudos

Try something like this

pastedImage_0.png

Anything is possible, but you have to have the data in the database.

If you're not using DPA, how are you getting the SQL deadlock information? Do you have SAM or another monitoring tool that's able to poll the data?

We do some of this in our environment via SQL Experience Monitors or scripting with SAM and then set up the alerts against that data.

0 Kudos

I'm not using a DPA. I'm receiving data via App Insights for SQL. So I'm trying to setup an alert for the component deadlocks, but can't seem to get the alert to accept the object I'm selecting.

0 Kudos