This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to include "parent" name in email for 'child unreachable' alert

We have dependencies set up for access switches and voice gateways.  When an access switch goes down that provides a link to a VG our voice team gets an email that says "Child is Unreachable".  In that alert we would like to include the name of the parent switch that caused this Child to become unreachable.  I need help figuring out how to add that information in the email alert.

• Hello mfortner

The answer is dependant on how you have your alert setup. Do you have an alert set up on the VG itself as a Node Up/Down which sends an email to the Voice Team if the device is down? Do you have a SolarWinds dependancy mapping in place between the Switch and the VG? If you do then technically the VG won't be down it will only ever be UnAvailable.

If you can provide a little more information around how you have this setup I will try to help you.

• Thanks David,

Hopefully this answers your questions on our current setup:

1. We do have an alert setup on the VGs themselves. It is only triggered when the parent switch is status UP, and the VG itself is down.

2. We do have a dependency between our switches and VGs. Additionally we have an Alert telling a switch is down, and a second alert based on the dependency that tells us we have a VG Unreachable. (The first goes to our Wired Engineers, the second to our Voice Engineers)

The dependency works as expected. What we are trying to accomplish is how to identify the parent node that caused the VG to go unreachable in our “VG Unreachable alert”. I.E. What are the variables to use, the syntax, the sql, or swql, etc that we can use to add the parent switch info on our alert.

The VG Unreachable alert currently looks like this:

As you can see, our voice team receives an alert saying the VG is unreachable so they can reach out to our wired engineer, but they have no way of identifying which parent switch caused this outage. Hence, what can we do to add the parent switch node details, caption, system, name, IP address, etc into this alert.

Thanks for your help!

Miles

attachments.zip
  • This is the SQL i use to display parents and child relationships for nodes as part of my down nodes messages, just add it to your email and test it against some of those VG nodes to see what you get..  It might work for your use case as-is, but you might need to tweak it

It displays the name and description of the dependency, so hopefully you named yours something helpful

Parent of the following dependencies:

${SQL: select isnull((SELECT cast(Name + ' - ' as XML), cast([Description] + CHAR(13) as XML) FROM [dbo].[Dependencies] where includeinstatuscalculation = 1 and parententitytype = 'orion.nodes' and parentnetobjectid = ${nodeid} FOR XML PATH('') ),'None') }

Child of the following dependencies:

${SQL: select isnull((SELECT cast(Name + ' -  ' as XML), cast([Description] + CHAR(13) as XML) FROM [dbo].[Dependencies] where includeinstatuscalculation = 1 and childentitytype = 'orion.nodes' and childnetobjectid = ${nodeid} FOR XML PATH('') ),'None') }

• Thank you! I will give these a shot and see what we get

Miles