cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

How do I set up an email action for only a select few alerts?

Jump to solution

We upgraded our installation of Network Performance Monitor not long ago, now I'm having quite a time with email actions on alerts.  I've watched a few videos here and there, accessed Help in several views and thought I understood the process.  But every time I go to set it up I get hundreds of emails; it emails me every little thing on every node!!!

Generally in setting up the upgraded installation Discoveries are fine, I love the fact that I can now group our nodes in a much better way, I generally like what NPM is alerting on "out of the box" so to speak.

The issue is in testing alerting on myself before I go public with it I'm afraid I'm not doing well.  Our firewall admin is a bit of a stickler and wants no alert spam as she calls it, so I cannot copy anyone else on the emails until I get this right.  So what I'd need ideally is a step-by-step, on setting up an email action, on an individual node.  Say if this were do-able from the Node Detail View or something, then I'd hopefully avoid the email avalanches I've been getting!

thanks for any help...

1 Solution
Level 11

I'm not quite 100% sure what you are asking.  Are you asking how to set up a single alert....let's say a c:\ alert in which multiple nodes would fall under, but the email goes to the person responsible for that specific node?

If so you can set up a custom property (a field), and call it Primary Contact for example.  Then on one page for ServerA in that field put the person's email address you want it to go to.  You can do that for all of them.  Then in the alert email action, instead of putting someone's email address, in the "To:" field, type ${Node.PrimaryContact} .  So when the alert triggers and it goes to send the email out, it will see that in the 'to' field and pull the email address you put in the primary contact field on the node's page.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 11

I'm not quite 100% sure what you are asking.  Are you asking how to set up a single alert....let's say a c:\ alert in which multiple nodes would fall under, but the email goes to the person responsible for that specific node?

If so you can set up a custom property (a field), and call it Primary Contact for example.  Then on one page for ServerA in that field put the person's email address you want it to go to.  You can do that for all of them.  Then in the alert email action, instead of putting someone's email address, in the "To:" field, type ${Node.PrimaryContact} .  So when the alert triggers and it goes to send the email out, it will see that in the 'to' field and pull the email address you put in the primary contact field on the node's page.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks, Dragoon231, good idea and I think I will do just that.  When I posed the question I had not worked with setting up alerts for some time, also we had just upgraded several revs.  So the question could have been a bit confusing!  Anyway thanks for your comment.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'd like to know this as well.

0 Kudos