This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Execute Remote SQL for Alerting

Our company has used the solarwinds products for years and we have Network Performance Monitoring, Server & App Monitor, and a few others in the Solarwinds toolbelt. We have remote servers on our network running SQL. Is it possible to use Server & App Monitor to execute a SQL query against a remote SQL server crafted to gather information one can alert on? For instance let's say the SQL query returned a cash variance. Could we create a SQL query to acquire the cash variance from the remote database then use SolarWinds alerts to alert the appropriate parties if it falls out of spec?

• Further research has helped me to refine what I'm looking for. I want Solarwinds (SW) to poll a remote SQL database requesting one or more pieces of information gathered by a custom query. Then I want SolarWinds to store the information so I can create custom alerts if the information goes out of spec. In the example I gave earlier of a cash variance I want SW to poll the remote database for the cash variance, store the variance in the SW DB, and then be able to use the Alert Manager to create an alert when the spec is out of bounds.

• You can do this exact thing in SAM with an SQL User Experience template, but not in NPM...

• Excellent thank you. I'll give it a try and mark as the answer if it works or reply with more questions.