This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Email Alert - Port Response Time

Hi!

Has anyone created an email alert: Response Time of LAN ports exceeding 5ms and Respone Time of Serial Ports exceeding 30ms?

Thanks,

Roselyn

• Hi roselyn,

We poll devices for delay, not individual interfaces. Typically the response time will be impacted by the relative location of the device and the NPM server. LAN and serial interfaces local to the NPM server will tend to have similar delay, while LAN and serial ports at a remote location will tend to have a new set of similar data.

What I would recommend is examining the typical PING delays on a per site basis then group the accordingly. Then you can alert on the group or individual group members.

Also note this if you want to know the exact delay associated with your WAN connecetion, the Orion IP SLA Manager does exactly this.

See  

and http://www.solarwinds.com/products/ip-sla-monitoring/ 

Andy

• Hi Andy,

Are you referring to the latency in IPSLA?  Is the response time and latency the same thing?

If I were to create an alert on the response time of a particular LAN port, the alert I can use is latency in IPSLA?  Thus I have to add all LAN port ip addresses in IPSLA???

• Yes, those terms are often interchanged in networking. IP SLA is best used to measure WAN quality and latency. LAN ports tend to have very low latency locally. LAN latency issues are typically caused by accessing a remote LAN. The latency introduced in the WAN between the sites is the major contributor to the overall delay. Implementing IP SLA to large numbers of LAN ports would be disruptive to the network and Orion.

What do you need to provide? Is this an SLA requirement or such? 

• Hi Andy,

I'm wondering how an I going to implement an alert, an email alert: Response Time of LAN ports exceeding 5ms and Response Time of Serial Ports exceeding 30ms.....Is this possible using NPM? because I need to consider all routed ports. If not, how?

• I wondering about the requirement. Response times a relative to where they are being measured from. Whatis driving the requirement?

• Hi Andy,

Let's say it's from Orion Server, need to have an response time alert for the LAN Interface or the Serial Interface exceeding a particualr threshold value of 3ms.

Also on a different scenario,

Let's say it's from one router, need to have an response time alert for the LAN Interface or the Serial Interface of another router exceeding a particualr threshold value of 3ms.

• So my question is of scale. Do you need to ensure that all LAN ports have a delay <3ms or is the requirement specific to some important interfaces? Same for the serial iterfaces.