This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Poller alert - Help please

Hi all

I'm trying to write a custom Poller alert for a NetScaler.  I have added the MIBs to the device and I'm getting values back from the MIBS. but the Alert is another matter.

So far I have the following

The alert should write to the Netperfmon log the following info

When I run he test of the alert I get the following:

This is very wierd as the OID for the CpuUsage is 1.3.6.1.4.1.5951.4.1.1.41.1 and I would therefor expect the test to write the value for this OID to the log not the value for OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.5951.4.1.1.11.

If someone can help me out with this I would very much appreciate it - its been doing my head in for nearly a day now and nothing I seem to do gets any better

Cheers

Simon Parish
BT Engage IT

• The Alert Test only will test the Trigger actions of the Alert and not the Actual Alert Itself. It will not test the actual Alert Trigger conditions.

What I normally do is change the Trigger conditions to be met and send the E-mail message to ensure that you are getting the correct information, and it will also verify that the Alert is working as Designed, then you can change the Nemeric Status for the CPU Value to your normal Alert level.

• Hi Sean

The problem I have is with the information that is written to the Perfmon Log - this information being written and alerted on seems to be different to what I have asked it to alert on in the trigger conditions.

It is totally baffling as to why it is using a totally different OID/MIB to what I have asked for in the trigger

Simon

• Simon, are you testing the alert or were the conditions of the alert met such that it was triggered? If you're manually testing the alert, Sean is trying to explain that only the alert actions are tested, not the trigger conditions themselves. So again, if you're manually testing the alert, wrong information will most likely be recorded to the Perfmon Log.

• Sean

Ok I think My brain has decided to part company with my body!!!

After reading what you had written I have finally managed to look back at what I was trying to do and what you were saying.  I apologise as you were indeed correct and the alert is functioning as I want it to. 

I set the alert to email me and I do indeed get the correct information being put into the email.  It is just highly confusing that the test feature does not display the correct information that you add into the trigger actions.

Thanks for the help on this Sean - even if I was slower thean a Sloth on tranquilisers at the uptake of your response :)