This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Node Poller - Custom SQL Alert not firing

Greetings all!

I am trying to set up a Custom SQL Alert for a Custom Node Poller with no luck.  When I modify the query in SSMS to guarantee one returned record, I get nothing in SolarWinds.  I'll attach the real trigger condition and the modified condition that guarantees at least one returned record.

Original query:

[GIVEN SELECT]

SELECT CustomPollerAssignmentView.AssignmentName, CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerAssignmentID FROM CustomPollerAssignmentView

[CUSTOM]

LEFT OUTER JOIN (

SELECT NodeID, COUNT(*) AS 'ProcCount'

FROM AssetInventory_ProcessorView

GROUP BY NodeID

) AS procs ON CustomPollerAssignmentView.NodeID = procs.NodeID

WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName LIKE 'LoadAverage1min'

AND CONVERT(decimal,CustomPollerAssignmentView.CurrentValue) < procs.ProcCount

Modified to guarantee at least one returned record:

[GIVEN SELECT]

SELECT CustomPollerAssignmentView.AssignmentName, CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerAssignmentID FROM CustomPollerAssignmentView

[CUSTOM]

LEFT OUTER JOIN (

SELECT NodeID, COUNT(*) AS 'ProcCount'

FROM AssetInventory_ProcessorView

GROUP BY NodeID

) AS procs ON CustomPollerAssignmentView.NodeID = procs.NodeID

WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName LIKE 'LoadAverage1min'

It's strange because if I just use WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName LIKE 'LoadAverage1min', no alerts are triggered.  Is this method of alerting not working as expected, or am I misconfiguring it?

Thanks in advance!

Jack Vaughan, Jr.

Systems Monitoring Engineer

CONNECTRIA HOSTING

jvaughan@connectria.com

NO JERKS ALLOWEDRegistered
www.connectria.com
Connectria Blog
Recommend us on Linkedin
Follow us on Twitter

No-Jerks-Allowed-logo-50.jpg

nojerksallowed.com

• I had the same problem but was able to get it resolved with help from support. I was setting up what looks like the same kind of thing as you as I was creating a load average alert on a custom node poller. I'll throw out a couple assumptions that I think apply to you that applied to me. You have set up a Load Average custom poll in the Universal Device Poller, the SNMP Get Type under Advanced Options in the Universal Device Poller is GET TABLE, and you are using the web interface to create the alert.

Based on what you have listed in your select statement you have Custom Node Poller selected on the Trigger Condition page under Set up your SQL condition. You need to change this to Custom Node Table Poller and update your JOIN and WHERE statements accordingly.

Even though the query works when you run it through SSMS, the application appears to care that it is a GET TABLE type and wants you to use the Custom Node Table Poller condition instead of Custom Node Poller. I took a bit of a different approach on my trigger but I have included my SQL below for reference if it is helpful.

Interestingly, I have access to an older instance of Orion and it did not care that I selected Custom Node Poller. So if you have an alert that used to work but doesn't after upgrade, that may be the culprit.

SQL Statement:

[Given Select]

SELECT CustomPollerStatusTable.FullLabel, CustomPollerStatusTable.CustomPollerAssignmentID, CustomPollerStatusTable.CompressedRowID FROM CustomPollerStatusTable

[Custom]

INNER JOIN Nodes ON CustomPollerStatusTable.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID

INNER JOIN CustomPollers ON CustomPollerStatusTable.PollerID = CustomPollers.PollerID

INNER JOIN NodesCustomProperties ON Nodes.NodeID = NodesCustomProperties.NodeID

WHERE

(

CustomPollers.UniqueName = 'LoadAvg'

AND CustomPollerStatusTable.NumValue >= NodesCustomProperties.Threshold_LinuxLoadAvg15

AND CustomPollerStatusTable.RowID = 3

)