cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create an alert for volume disappeared

I am unable to find alert volume events that correspond to the event type of Volume Disappeared. I hate to do this by custom SQL since it's an event- am I doing it wrong or is it just not hooked in yet?

I'll try choosing Status has changed and last poll date or something but it should be a selection no?

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 11.56.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 11.58.10 AM.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rharland2012
Level 15

Re: Cannot create an alert for volume disappeared

Did you ever get a fix for this? I'm trying to do the same thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bscherer
Level 10

This is how I trigger alert on down volumes.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-188508#comment-225133

rharland2012
Level 15

Thank you - I appreciate the info. Just to make sure I'm clear - although you're referring to these volumes as 'down', a disappeared volume situation can be rectified with your script as well?

0 Kudos
bscherer
Level 10

I believe "Volume Disappeared" is simply an event generated when the volume status changes to Down.  Once the volume is "Up" again, you will see a "Volume Re Appeared" event

If the volume has disappeared due to the serial and/or label changing, that script will most likely fix the issue(On WIndows Servers)

cjfranca
Level 15

Me too. bscherer

0 Kudos
glsmith67
Level 10

I setup an alert in our environment for this, below is how I have it setup. This will eliminate not receiving false alerts about Volumes being offline because they haven't been polled recently because they are down or unmanaged.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
ray.arbizu
Level 7

You can also use Custom SQL Alert (SolarWinds MT Article "Create custom SQL alerts in the Orion Web Console")

In the example below I am singling out one specific node that I want this to alert on. If this is applialbe for you, you will want to replace the number 106 in "networknode = 106" to the NodeID (NetworkNode) you want to alert on.

You may also want to make sure that you setup your Trigger Actions to receive an email when triggered.

VolumeDisapear-CustomSQL.png

Below is the SQL used:

where nodeid = (select top 1 networknode from events

Where eventtype = 210 and networknode = 106 and eventtime > getdate()-5

order by eventtype,  eventtime desc)

0 Kudos
rgivens
Level 9

I tried this configuration and I get a lot of false alarms of volumes being down to include physical and virtual memory.  So I filtered it to volume type equal to fixed disk also in the top portion and I still get several false alarms daily on a volume being down.  When I log into the machine and look there is absolutely nothing going on the with the machine and it's perfectly fine.

0 Kudos