This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting to a Group "Owner"

I noticed recently that in the advanced alerts there is a GroupOwner Variable that can be referenced.  Right now, it looks like only "Core" is in there.  I'm assuming that this is pulled directly from the database somewhere because I've never entered "Core" in any group field that I've found.

Here's the scenario that I'm trying to handle:

We have several hundred servers, switches, routers, etc.  I've built our "Groups" based on the responsible team at our company.  I'd LOVE to be able to alert to a group email address that can be stored somewhere with the group definition (think Custom Properties from the Nodes, Interfaces, and Volumes tables).  I can't seem to find a good way to handle this since the only group "owner" available doesn't seem to have any relevancy to the group setup.

I'm all interested in hearing suggestions and if this is just something that might be put in for a feature request.

Thanks all,

--KMSigma

SolarWinds Orion Core 2010.2.1 SP1, APM 4.0.1, IPAM 1.7.1, IPSLAMGR 3.5.1, NCM 6.1, NPM 10.1.1 SP1, IVIM 1.0.0

• I think I know where you are going with this. What I would do is create an alert for each group and define the folks you alert to in the email address on the action. We don't have the ability today to place logic into an alert so that if A happens alert X and if B happens alert Y. It takes 2 alerts.

• Also note that the Group Owner is an internal assignment and will be hidden in a future release. It has no user functon.

• Has there since been an update to this or possible work around?  It would be very handy to be able to add in some custom properties to groups so that we can alert the correct folks when problems occur with various groups.

• I've gotten no change, but I just expanded my work-around and have to alert based on each and every node in question.

Example:

SharePoint Servers is a group with SP01..SP12 in it. For each Server (node), I have to assign a custom property (AlertTo) as our SharePoint Team.

In my opinion, if I could have a custom property for a group/container I could let them know when any part of their responsible realm is in a warning, critical, or down state.