This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert when node goes down that is in a group

I have tried writing this alert many times but failed. 

I want 2 alerts.

1. When a node is down and in a certain group send an alert
  2. When a node is down and not in that group send an alert

Can someone help me out to get working alerts for this?

• For scenario 1:

On the trigger condition tab, set the Type of property to monitor to "Group Member".

Set the alert up to look like this:

Trigger when ALL of the following apply:

Member Status is equal to Down

Group Name is equal to MyGroupNameHere

For scenario 2, set the alert up in the exact same way, but change the "Group Name is equal to MyGroupNameHere" to "Group Name is NOT equal to MyGroupNameHere"

HTH,

Caroline

• I tried scenario 1 and it did not work for me

• I got scenario 1 to work the way you mentioned.

Scenario 2 is not working the way I want it to.  I want it to alert for any node (even nodes not in a group) that is NOT in the group that scenario 1 is using.

• Ah - I didn't realise there were some devices that weren't in any groups. 

Thats going to make it a little more interesting to set up the alert. You won't be able to use the groups for scenario 2, as its not possible to create a "group member" type alert for a node that isn't a member of any groups.

Instead, you can use custom properties to set up the alert the way you need it.

Use the Custom Property Editor to create new custom properties based on your nodes. The Custom Properties will let you define additional information about your devices - Location, Team in control of the devices etc, and can be used in Alerts, Reports and on your web console for grouping your devices.

You can find a two full video tutorials on the custom property editor here. 

- Creating custom properties

www.solarwinds.com/.../CustProp.html

- Managing custom properties

www.solarwinds.com/.../Orion8CustomProperties.html

Once you have created a custom property, and labelled your devices, you can use the custom proeprty in your alerts. This would be example logic you can use for 'scenario 1"

(example: Custom Property called "DeviceLocation")

Trigger when ALL of the following apply:

Node Status is equal to Down

DeviceLocation is equal to Europe

You can then use the DeviceLocation is not equal to Europe for your scenario 2. 

NOTE:  If you haven't defined anything in the custom properties (if you know you will be leaving the custom property blank for some nodes), and its a string value, it can be set to the NULL value in the table. This is a completely seperate condition to the empty string so you would need to account for it in your alerts. For that situation you would need to set up scenario 2 like this:

Trigger when all of the following apply:

Node Status is Down

Trigger when any of the following apply:

DeviceLocation is not equal to Europe

DeviceLocation is empty

• Hi guys,

I was stumped until I read this post. I have a group called "All Switches and Routers". This works great for alerting when a member of that group goes down.

I would however, also like to monitor if a member of that group is rebooted, or has high CPU or memory utilization. These seem to be node properties instead of group properties. Can anyone explain how I can achieve this?

Thanks much,

David.

• handbrake2;

Handle these with Node alerts; the alerts you describe will fire off regardless of group status or rollup settings. They are still nodes, regardless of group membership or lack thereof.

Reboot: Trigger alert when all the following apply -> LastBoot has changed. Obviously this has no reset condition or alert suppression.

CPU: Trigger alert when all the following apply -> CPULoad greater than XX% (I personally don't fire this off until >85% has persisted across a polling cycle of 10 minutes, and don't clear it until it drops below 75%.)

Memory: same as above, except variable is "Percent Memory Used" and the numbers differ.

This warns when servers/switches/routers are hanging on a huge job or memory leak, but don't fire off for a singular spike of utilization produced by a single, quick bursty event.

• Hi,

I have created a group (name is xyz) and move the two node router1 and router 2, and set the alert when group(xyz) goes down we will get the alert,

but I am here want some changes on alert when both device down then alert will trigger, otherwise if one node down goes down inside the group, we would be get group down alert.

please let me know the process so that I can avoid the false group down alert.

thanks in advance to all off you.

Josh Stephenstcountstovallgsavoyr

• Hi HippieBoy9,

As i review your request and understand the requirement-

Below is the option you can apply when you are creating an alert :-

1. When a node is down and in a certain group send an alert

>     for above question you can make an alert based on below snap -

pastedImage_1.png

And when you are creating the "Trigger condition", that time you can create a veriable to get the name of node name with group name, and whatever you are want in email.

2.     When a node is down and not in that group send an alert

> Same above type you can create alert for node down but here again you need to create a custom property for node wise and added the custom property of those node which is not a part of group,

and create a alert and "node - name of custom property - is not equal to - xyz (value which is you assigned)"

Might be post can help you.

Thanks

K