This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert on event counts over a period of time

Does anyone know of a way to make an alert dependent on a certain condition occurring multiple times over the course of a time period?  For example, can I create an alert that will be triggered if a box reboots more than once in a week?  In our environment it's normal for some of my boxes to restart once a week, but it's not normal for them to restart more than that. 

Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

You'll have to get very intimate with your database, particularly your Events table, but you should be able to tie in events against Nodes.

As an example - if a box reboots more than once a week (untested, but the DB query works..)

Type of Property to Monitor: Custom SQL Alert
    Set up your Trigger Query: Node

WHERE 

Nodes.NodeID IN (

SELECT NetObjectID

FROM Events

WHERE  NetObjectType = 'N' AND EventType = 14 AND EventTime >= DATEADD(DAY,-7,GETDATE())

GROUP BY NetObjectID

HAVING COUNT(1) > 1

)

EventType = 14 is the reboot code (see the EventTypes table for a list)

DATEADD(DAY,-7,GETDATE()) calculates 7 days ago (i.e. in the last week)

NetObjectType = 'N' pulls only Node events

HAVING COUNT(1) > 1 for those that match more than 1 time (adjust accordingly)

• Thanks Andy -- that query works great.  I'm having trouble getting my alert to actually trigger, but at least I know the query portion is good.

• I know this has been answered above by a really complicated 'get intimate with your database' answer but why wouldn't you just have the event (I.E. Last boot time changed) send a trap to your poller and alert on that threshold?