cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Alert on Up interface that hasn't passed any traffic

Is there a way to create an alert for an interface (typically the WAN) that shows up/up but haven't passed any traffic in X amount of seconds?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 12

Wondering if NetPath would be a better solution for monitoring connectivity.  Alternatively you can setup a ping only node to something on the WAN you use regularly (O365, etc.).

0 Kudos

We have over 400 sites, How would netpath be setup for such a large amount of remote sites.  Note, I'm only wanting to do WAN uplinks for now.  In the future if we have a critical application from a server that is outthere, I would alert on that specific interface.

0 Kudos

At 400 sites NetPath is not optimal.

To add to David Smith's post, you can setup an alert for the BGP or route change alert to notify you if something happens at the site.

0 Kudos

You could go down the route of adding the BGP Peer IP as an ICMP Only node, and set an alert for just those devices. If the far end IP isn't reachable then your interface is down or not passing traffic. Although if the IP is reachable via an alternate route that could skew the results.

- David Smith
0 Kudos

I've never done it, but If you created an Interface alert you could trigger on something like Transmit bps = 0 and set a "Condition must exist for" condition?

Obviously don't forget that SolarWinds is only collecting interface statistics every 9 Minutes (by default).

- David Smith

Thanks We have over 400 remote sites and sometimes the link is up/up but not traffic passing, this way, we can add that.  Great point for polling times BTW.

0 Kudos

Did you make any progress?

- David Smith
0 Kudos