cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Alert email fails to everyone when one email address is incorrect

Jump to solution

I have a situation where I would like to send an alert (node up/down) to our system administrators and optionally to the application administrator (if there is an app being monitored).  The actual email group names will be dynamic based on the node.

To accomplish this, I added 2 custom fields to the nodes, for the AdminEmail and the AppAdminEmail.  If there isn't an AppAdminEmail, I current have the word NONE in it.

Since the alert email addresses cannot be conditional and none of the emails will send if any of them are incorrect, how do I send the node up/down email to both groups when the AppAdminEmail is NONE?

Do I have to setup a valid email account that rejects the email within it?

Can SolarWinds be changed to send the email anyways and ignore the error, but log it?  I also get an error if there is just an CC email address and the TO is blank.

Here is an example of an email that failed because one of the email addressee was wrong.  (In this case, I had to qualify the field name with ${Node.AdminEmail}, but the error should be the same.)

2013-04-09 16:49:59,938 [29] WARN  Error - Failed - Was unable to send email message.
EXCEPTION STACK: --> The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 501 5.1.3 Invalid address
:  :    at Interop.cdosys.MessageClass.Send()
   at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.MessageActions.ActionEmail.AsyncMailToSend.SendThis(Object state);

- Email message sent via SMTP Server (IP removed) To:"${AdminEmail}" <${AdminEmail}> CC:(email removed) From:"Network Performance Monitor" <orionalert@(removed).com> Subject:Liebert - Temperature or Humidity Out of Range for X-1000 2nd Floor Liebert Body:Liebert - Temperature or Humidity Out of Range for X-1000 2nd Floor Liebert
The current MIB LIEBERT-GP-ENVIRONMENTAL-MIB:lgpEnvHumidityMeasurementRel is 71. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Thanks that helped a lot.  I wasn't sure how the email addresses would wrap on reports & such with no spaces, so I kept the custom field values separated by semicolons + space:

user1@co.com; user2@co.com  (Sorry.  The editor keeps converting these to links & even though I remove them, it adds them back when I save.)

However, on the alert, when I use 2 custom fields for the addressee, I combine them by using the comma with no space.  So in the alerts, I use:

To: ${Node.AdminEmail},${Node.AppAdminEmail}

I did some testing, and if the Node.AppAdminEmail is blank, it no longer fails.

I still think SW should treat an invalid email as a warning, but this is a good workaround.

Thanks again!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 12

The only reliable way I found to do this was using one custom property (I use "Alert_Emails_CC") on nodes, which contains either zero, one or many recipients in the format

user1@myco.com,user2@myco.com

- the list must strictly not have any spaces in it, otherwise will fail in the way you describedd.

All my alerts have the To: field like this:

To:orionalerts@myco.com,${Node.Alert_Emails_CC}

This works fine when any custom property is blank, but it will cause every alert email to fail if there is ever even a single custom property which has a space character anywhere in it.

HTH

Thanks that helped a lot.  I wasn't sure how the email addresses would wrap on reports & such with no spaces, so I kept the custom field values separated by semicolons + space:

user1@co.com; user2@co.com  (Sorry.  The editor keeps converting these to links & even though I remove them, it adds them back when I save.)

However, on the alert, when I use 2 custom fields for the addressee, I combine them by using the comma with no space.  So in the alerts, I use:

To: ${Node.AdminEmail},${Node.AppAdminEmail}

I did some testing, and if the Node.AppAdminEmail is blank, it no longer fails.

I still think SW should treat an invalid email as a warning, but this is a good workaround.

Thanks again!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos