This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Using Node Status Down After 3 or More Devices Are Down

Hello All,

My apologies if this or something similar has been answered before (still searching through the forum, but haven't found anything yet): I'm looking for a way to use the BASIC Alerts (I need the trigger to be a GET/POST of a page and that's only available in the Basic Alerts) to trigger once 3 or more nodes are down. Ideally, I'd like to set a few of these at different levels, but once I get the idea of how to do it for 3 nodes it shouldn't be hard to modify for the rest.

So, is it possible? emoticons_happy.png If it helps, we're currently running NPM 9.5 SP4 (we're looking to upgrade soon, but haven't quite had the time to do so).

Thanks!

• Sorry for the bump, curious if anybody has any ideas on this?

Thanks

• Which version of NPM do you have installed? I have NPM 10.1.2 so the good news is that Get or Post a URL to a Web Server is one of the available trigger actions for advanced alerts. I don't know in which version it first became available though.

• If it helps, we're currently running NPM 9.5 SP4 (we're looking to upgrade soon, but haven't quite had the time to do so).

We DO have the option for GET/POST URLs in Basic Alerts (I think they've added it to Advanced Alerts in the latest version). I am currently using an alert to GET a PHP URL that activates an alarm light, have debating creating a php 'counter' that tries to keep track of active alerts. Unfortunately, my PHP skills are very limited.

If we had outside (internet) access to our NPM, I'd just create a PHP script that runs a SQL COUNT on one of the rows of the ActiveAlerts table and that would give me a for sure count of the # of active alerts, but it's internal and I have no in-house PHP hosts and probably cannot justify getting one for such a simple script.

• I guess I was too brief in my earlier reply. My suggestion would be to use Advanced Alerts to accomplish this.

1. You could then use alert suppression to fire the alert only if none of the three or more nodes are up
    2. If you can upgrade to NPM v10, you'll have access to create groups of nodes and accordingly, alert based off of group status.
    3. I thought I read that this can be accomplished using custom properties but I cannot find the reference to this. Hopefully, someone reads this and fills in the blank.

Are any of these a feasible solution for you?