This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert Suppression during specific times for specific Nodes

I am trying to write an alert that allows me to receive an alert whenever the server is rebooted but need to suppress that alert for a specific period every evening between 1200am and 0600am for planned reboots... will i need to set multiple alerts one for the nodes that i want to supress the alerts on and one for the nodes that do not need any supression? can i add the variables to one of the alerts that are already in place? if i have a generic node alert in place already will i have to remove that one and make 2 new ones or is there a hierarchy to the way teh advanced alerts are set. 

Second question is there a tool to export the basic alerts from the system and import them into the advanced alert system?

• For q1 - Yes, it is probably best to create 2 alerts if you have a set of servers that you always want to be alerted on, and another set where you need to add time supperssion. Advanced Alert Manager has a tab where you can specify the times and days the alert is active. I would use the groups feature to make the 2 sets of servers.

For q2, no we don't have that type of tool.

• For q1 you could also use the Unmanage Utility included under the Advanced section in All Programs > SolarWinds Orion to schedule an unmanaged period of time for those nodes. That way your alert could affect every node in your environment evenly.

• Your decision to create multiple alerts covering different periods or to use the Unmanage Utility should be based on whether you can live without availability stats.  While unmanaged, you won't know if nodes are up or down.  You won't be able to come in and see what went down last night (at least from the perspective of Orion).  If that is unacceptable, you probably want multiple alerts instead.