cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Advanced Alerts - Email Action - Error while sending

I have created a custom alert for when a branch goes down it sends an email to certain recipients. I am receiving alert results in Orion NPM that it trigers and logs message, but it did not send an email.

While testing the Alert Trigger, i saw below message in Trigger log:

3/20/2014 3:53:15 PM:    Preparing action type EMail to test alert Branch Down.

3/20/2014 3:53:33 PM:    Email 'Branch Router Down for 10 minutes' from '"Network Performance Monitor" <nms@domain.com>' to '"imam@domain.com" <imam@domain.com>' has been handed to the local mail handler for alert Branch Down. However, the mail handler had the following error:

Email message sent via SMTP Server mail.domain.com To: imam@domain.com From:nms@domain.com Subject:Branch Router Down for 10 minutes Body:Branch "Baghbanpura Branch" in Region "Central Region" is down since 3/20/2014 3:53:15 PM

EXCEPTION STACK: --> The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

:  :    at Interop.cdosys.MessageClass.Send()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.MessageActions.ActionEmail.AsyncMailToSend.SendThis(Object state);

Any clues on possible issues and outcomes, SMTP server details are solid and email address are working fine i have double checked.

Thanks....

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Hi,

The line "The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay" is a response from your mail server saying that it can not relay the mail being sent to it from your solarwinds server.  This is fairly common with locked down mail servers and you will need a configuration change on the mail server to allow the poller ip address to send.

Hope this helps

Stuart

0 Kudos

Hi Stuart

I have just reset the settings and password for email account from EXCHANGE. But still the error is there. Please guide me with the steps for what configuration is required...

Please forgive ignorance, my EXCHANGE guy has no clue what this "relay" chemistry is about. And I have to tell him what he is required to do...

Thanks!

0 Kudos

This is not user credentials, this is IP addresses that are allowed through your exchanges SMTP virtual server.

I cant give you step by step as I have no visabilty on your exchange environment or versions etc.  however you will in some form have an SMTP virtual server that listens on the appropriate port (most likely port 25).  This virtual server needs to allow your poller IP address to relay mail through it.

0 Kudos

Hi Stuart,

Solved it with your mentioned configuration listed on here also had to enable authentication in SMTP settings of Alerts.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Glad you got it sorted.

0 Kudos