This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ntfs inheritance handling

Good morning everybody,
the handling of inheritance, especialy the disabling of the mentioned, differs in ARM.
1. deactive inheritance on an existing folder says: permissions are copied but inherit ARM permissions are not. Why?

2. Creating a new folder and deactive the inheritance in the dialog, creates a folder with the ARM permissions copied. Why?

Regards

Marcus

• Hi Allmecht,

thanks for your deep interest in ARM.

1. The break of the inheritance of a folder skips the ARM managing groups, because you create a new "starting point" and for that you also need new managing groups. The idea behind is one folder - a couple of managing groups according to the defined access rights.

2. You are right, the handling I described above is missing inside the "Create New Directory" function. According to our philosophy it would also have to be treated here. I will create a new feature request to be able to track it. Thanks for your help. - nobody is perfect.

Kind regards

Norbert

• Hello Norbert,
    I can agree with that approach. But a more better solution from my point of view would be the possibility to choose which groups to copy or not.
    An example will make my point clear. 
    Directory structure:
    - root_folder
      - folder_level2
        - folder_level3

The permissions are all set with ARM, so everything is fine so far. The root_folder has a FS_root_folder_RO permission group which contains the account to read the NTFS permissions which is used in the scan config.
    So, if I break the inheritance on folder_level3 and no groups are copied I will loose the ability to read the permissions on folder_level3 and below.
    That's why it would be great if I could choose to have the FS_root_folder_RO group an folder_level3.

Regards

Marcus