cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Unresponsive ARM Login

Jump to solution

In the last month or so our ARM instance has regularly become unresponsive when users try authenticating into the web portal.  After entering their credentials, it just spins indefinitely but never actually logs the user in.  A restart of the ARM service will resolve this but its becoming a common occurrence and is disrupting our users ability to use the ARM website.  See screenshot below (I've stripped out my username from the screenshot)

pastedImage_0.png

I looked in one of the GrantMA logs and found some errors which may or may not be related.  It looks like it may be something with IIS but I'm not certain.  Is there anywhere else I should look when I see this behavior?

--BEGIN-OF-EXCEPTION------------------------------------------------------------

1. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at pn.WebApi8Man.CookieHelper.GetGrantMaSettingsCookie(HttpRequestMessage request)

at pn.WebApi8Man.CookieHelper.GetSettingsCookieValue(HttpRequestMessage request, String key)

at pn.WebApi8Man.Controllers.Base.ApiControllerExtension.getCulture(ApiController controller, String culture)

at pn.WebApi8Man.Controllers.Base.ApiControllerExtension.GetUserInfo(ApiController controller)

at pn.WebApi8Man.Controllers.LanguageController.GetTypeIdDescriptors()

at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.AuthenticationFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

--END-OF-EXCEPTION--------------------------------------------------------------

[    387|HC-DC2      |w3wp |9372.2| 90|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…cy.SessionController|200124|18:43:58.053|Info       ] SessionController.Login(String username, String password, String domain, String timezone, String culture, String applicationId): Login

[    388|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2| 90|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|CookieHelper |200124|18:43:58.054|Warning    ] CookieHelper.GetSessionIdFromCookie(HttpRequestBase request): Sessioncookiename not set:GrantMaSession

[    389|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2| 91|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…cy.SessionController|200124|18:44:28.594|Info       ] SessionController.Login(String username, String password, String domain, String timezone, String culture, String applicationId): Login

[    390|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2| 91|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|CookieHelper |200124|18:44:28.594|Warning    ] CookieHelper.GetSessionIdFromCookie(HttpRequestBase request): Sessioncookiename not set:GrantMaSession

[    391|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2|101|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…egacy.HomeController|200124|18:52:06.280|Info       ] HomeController.MyAccountModel(): Calling MyAccountModel

[    392|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2|101|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.openService.Auto…ces.WebSessionToken]|200124|18:52:06.281|Debug      ] AutoExpirySessionManager`1.TryGetToken(String sessionId, out TIdentity& token): Session not found: 4b40db7e-4063-44e8-8fdf-3e2c89ea94c6

[    393|HC-DC2      |w3wp |9372.2|101|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|MvcControllerExtension                  |200124|18:52:06.281|Warning    ] MvcControllerExtension.GetWebSessionToken(Controller controller, ISessionManager`1 sessionManager): SessionManager session = null. Cookiesession: 4b40db7e-4063-44e8-8fdf-3e2c89ea94c6

[    394|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2|101|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…egacy.HomeController|200124|18:52:06.282|Warning    ] HomeController.MyAccountModel(): Called MyAccountModel: Unauthorized, WebSessionToken null

[    395|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2|105|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…cy.SessionController|200124|18:52:15.133|Info       ] SessionController.Login(String username, String password, String domain, String timezone, String culture, String applicationId): Login

[    396|HC-DC2      |w3wp        |9372.2| 99|IIS APPPOOL\ARM WebAPI AppPool|pn.WebApi8Man.Contr…cy.SessionController|200124|18:52:15.196|Info       ] SessionController.Login(String username, String password, String domain, String timezone, String culture, String applicationId): Login

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi armexpert

Yes we are using the OU license scope to limit the amount of users.  I believe we've had that in place for about a year now.  Should I try removing that OU filter?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 10

Hi Eric,

one question, are you using the OU license scope to limit the amount of managed ARM user? My feeling is, that this could lead to that problem, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos

Hi armexpert

Yes we are using the OU license scope to limit the amount of users.  I believe we've had that in place for about a year now.  Should I try removing that OU filter?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

sorry took longer to answer you. If you can be removed license scope, it would be helpful in terms of performance. But if that really helps for that problem I don't know, because even the error occurs not any more you can't really say that this was the problem. But I have 3 customers with OU license and 2 of them do have that error. Unfortunately I can't remove the scope there to test it. The error is reported and development is informed. But if that will be solved depends on if they can reproduce it and how difficult is the solution.

What I see at my customers was, that we changed some permissions on different folders during recertification and then it the problem occurs next day.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the update.  We removed the OU scope from our ARM instance but the problem still manifests itself.  Please keep me updated if a hotfix for this is released.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Eric,

I saw it at other customer too, I will create an urgent case out of it. At the customer an ARM Service restart helps. But to be sure check the certificate for the Binding of the WebAPI bevore if that is correct and after restart of ARM Service you restart the IIS.

I belive that an AD scan crashes the internal cash structure of ARM and only the restart make that caches clear.

Cheers

Mike