This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Access Right Management File System

Hi there,

I'm evaluating a solution for file access right on Windows systems .

SolarWinds ARM seems good, but i don't have fully cleary if cover some needs.

I have following questions:

- Do ARM work only on unstructured data?

- Can ARM manage permissions on files and folders taken on a local file system on a server?

- Does it manage local accounts (user/groups)?

- Does it manage of local users of Windows systems in SoD mode (who creates the users must not be able to use them) ?

- Can an administrator obtain permissions without authorization?

Many Thanks

• Hi,

regarding your questions:

- Do ARM work only on unstructured data?

It doesn't matter if the data is structured or not, ARM will work with it. See it as a software changing the way you adminstrate your ressources.

- Can ARM manage permissions on files and folders taken on a local file system on a server?

ARM does not manage files permissions (you shouldn't do that anyway). One of the ideas is that ARM automatically creates permission groups, sets permissions for them on the folders and traverse permission on the parents so you can navigate there.

The strongest point of ARM is showing you what are the "real" permissions by going way beyond the flat ACL.

- Does it manage local accounts (user/groups)?

No, local accounts (on the server) are not managed. What's your use case for this?

- Does it manage of local users of Windows systems in SoD mode (who creates the users must not be able to use them) ?

As previously stated it does not manage local accounts. And this is a matter of trusting your employees (if you don't, you're already destined to fail in my opinion) and which permissions you give them. Of course theoretically this could be done, but this could be done by any admin in theory. Users configured as Data Owners with the ability of creating users of course could use them in theory. But that's why everything is logged and can be reviewed.

- Can an administrator obtain permissions without authorization?

What's you definition of administrator here? If you mean an ARM administrator, then: yes, of course. Administrators are not limited. Data Owners can be limited, but must be apporved by administrators (RichClient) or whatever you configure in the WebUI for workflows.

Cheers

Björn