This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Amazon Web Space Cost SWAG?

Hi Fellow WPM Users,

I am currently considering taking advantage of the AWS options for a remote player location for our SEUM/WPM monitoring. I have tried to search for the answer myself but not had much luck. Tons of info out there and its hard to narrow it down to my dummy level question.

So can anyone give me a ball park estimate on what it would cost to set up a player in AWS? This player will only be used for replaying a simple 5 step WPM transaction 1 time every 15 minutes. This monitor will remain 24/7/365. I am very new to AWS and not even sure what questions to ask. I was under the impression you could use a service that only charged you when the instance was active, which I would assume maybe 30 seconds every 15 minutes but again, I am a total AWS noob.

The estimate does not need to be terribly accurate. I am trying to get an idea if I should even bother bringing this option up to my leadership team for consideration. I have also considered putting a laptop out at a remote location and connecting it directly to the internet via broadband service completely independent of our internal network. This would give me the high level "outside user viewing our public site" experience that I am looking for but also would include poking some holes in the firewall from what I am reading.

Any suggestions, information, or ideas would be very much appreciated. I have our leaders ear at the moment and really want to take advantage of the opportunity to build up our Solar Winds monitoring. I have approval for unlimited WPM licenses (XL) but need to be sure I can give them one monitor from the outside world.

Thanks in advance and happy holiday to all.

P.S. Thwack Admin team, how about opening up a tipping / bounty program with points? It would be great if I could offer up a few hundred thwack points to the correct answer. If you want to get really crazy I could make a Thwack coin for you in virtual currency similar to Bit coin and then we could really get some tipping going.