Regarding Alerts/output in orion

Hi All,

Currently I am facing a data output dispute , If I'm checking Last (reboot/uptime) of a switch by loging via SSH it's totally different from the Last uptime showing in orion. Can somebody share his/her idea, it will be helpful for me. Thanks

Parents
  • This may be just me but
    I have found that some systems/devices use a 32bit counter and while others are 64bit.
    This is OID, I think is used by Orion for the system up time - 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0    sysUpTime.0    TimeTicks
    When the 32 but rolls over this cause a problem.
    So take this with a grain of salt.

Also depending the platform it may have it's own system uptime OID.
    BUT, there is no where that I have found, to make a per platform change for the system uptime OID.

Then there is the whole idea of last reboot vs system up time.
    Last reboot tends to be a TimeStamp where System Up time is TimeTicks
    Also does the platform reset uptime with a reboot or is system up time only reset at power cycle?

Yes you can go round and with this.

Again, this may be just me.

• This may be just me but
    I have found that some systems/devices use a 32bit counter and while others are 64bit.
    This is OID, I think is used by Orion for the system up time - 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0    sysUpTime.0    TimeTicks
    When the 32 but rolls over this cause a problem.
    So take this with a grain of salt.

Also depending the platform it may have it's own system uptime OID.
    BUT, there is no where that I have found, to make a per platform change for the system uptime OID.

Then there is the whole idea of last reboot vs system up time.
    Last reboot tends to be a TimeStamp where System Up time is TimeTicks
    Also does the platform reset uptime with a reboot or is system up time only reset at power cycle?

Yes you can go round and with this.

Again, this may be just me.

Children
  • Yeah the data essentially is not 100% reliable acrross platforms. There's the age-old counter rollover issue.. also if the SNMP service restarts that resets system uptime so as to appear the system rebooted.

Generally speaking SNMP is flawed as a protocol for this purpose and is exactly why reboot alerts I put "possibly" rebooted, and if using SNMP polling method with the generic OID you can't just "trust" the data whole heartedly..

If the vendor MIBs have a better OID specific for systemuptime thats usually more reliable and I THOUGHT that could be changed with device studio but would have to check.