Would you sit down and chat with a SolarWinds developer? What questions would you have for them?

Loading question...
  • I would like to see PowerShell widgets in the dashboards or views?  

• Historically (havn't seen a change in more recent ones but maybe the most current is different) monitoring a system with SAM has deployed a script that makes systems check for Windows Updates. I understand why this might be desired, but it causes us

• A lot of antivirus pings by default
    • Wasted processing cycles and activity in out 'air-gapped' networks with no access to any update mechanism*
    • 'Servers' (desktop OS we use for services) that are internet connected gathering feature updates prior to when we desire as they are 'manually checking'*

Why isn't there an advanced option to toggle this off or more clarity on the fact it is a thing?

* Admittedly some of our issues are related to the fact we do not have a WSUS in place but our footprint that could leverage the WSUS is so small it hasn't been a high enough priority for management to invest in

• Why did we build a feature a certain way? - Only if its around DPA and its support for SAP HANA
    • How would we use a feature in our products? - SDWAN OID's for full feature support, VELO Cloud devices 
    • What do we look at when you send us diagnostics? - How does this reduce the MTR
    • What features do we use in our own products? - And are there other products you use
    • How do we interact with our IT ops people internally? - Eh.
  • As I am just getting started with my new position, and have not as yet been able to get into the SolarWinds instance to see what they have (and what they do not have), I said "Maybe" because at the moment, I have no input or questions.  However, in three to six month's time, I probably will.

Thank you to the entire SW team for your willingness to reach out to the end-users, and helping us make the most of this incredible platform!

#SolarWindsRules

• Mine isn't a tech question as such.

But rather, what does it take to move a feature request along the path to it becoming a delivered feature.
    I ask this because from the outside looking in we can see some requests turn into reality but others seemingly languish.

Basically, can you show the progress of an FR from selection to development to release

Thanks!

• I marked "Maybe" because I have not been managing our Solar environment as much lately, and we have been making huge changes to our environment. 
    Possibly once thing return to "normal" and actually have time to work in it again. 

• I would like a way to easily strip the domain information off the node name. I have to manually do that for all nodes, and it is time consuming. What I mean is changing something like ibmnode1.ibm.com to ibmnode1, for all the nodes at the same time. It makes the maps cleaner if the node names are short. Thanks!

• Not really sure that some these are to be directed at the developer, but rather at the development/product team.

Here goes:

- Why is it that you cannot assign your own API Poller templates to nodes (rather it is just out-of-the box templates)?

- Could we please make error messages more intuitive/informative? Today I got something along the lines: an error has occurred and the detailed description was that one or more errors has occurred. Or "Object referent is not set to an instance of an object" and then the error report contains absolutely no useful information (IDs, queries, source etc) 

- I love the look of the new PerfStack inspired graphs, but is there any way to make them more snappy? If you put more of them on the same page you end up with spinning cubes for a good chunk of time before any data appears.

- I like the versatility of the Custom table widget, but seeing the data source name (for [Data_Source_Name]) displayed on top of the table can be a bit annoying; if that would not show up the custom tables would be practically indistinguishable from  the out-of-the box resources.

- Kudos for the new 'modern' dashboards. Any plans to integrate the new widget stiles into 'classic' dashboards? Will they both converge to a hybrid version in future releases?

- When the new 'Manage Entities' page came out I was very excited but then I realized that although it had some upside (multiple filters, modern look) it also had quite a few drawbacks that have kept me from using it instead of 'Managed Nodes' to this day (lack certain options from the more actions menu, no way to select the columns to be displayed, spinning cubes ). Are there any plans to address some of these?

- APIs are all around us these days and have become an absolute must have. Are there any plans to add the possibility to auto-discover nodes based on API queries (i.e. mass GET from CMDB)?

I'm sure that if I thought about it I could add a few times as many questions/suggestions to the list. 

Bottom line is that you have a great product suite and an awesome all-round approach, but some of the little things can annoying sometimes.

Cheers!

LE: 

- Why is it that you cannot select custom SQL/SWQL query as a data source/entity type for a PerfStack graph. I could think of tons of use cases where this could come in handy. Right now I can run a custom SWQL query through an API poller that passes the call to an API Gateway that deals with SSL validation (pre 2020.2; I know that API pollers can do that out of the box now, thanks!) and add that as a data source in PerfStack.

- When is dark mode coming to Orion? That seems to be the hype these days when it come to 'new' features

• How do you assess if you are taking advantage of all the feature available in any product?  

In Virtualization Manger Version 2019.4, is there a way to set a dashboard similar to the appliance?

I really liked that dashboard, would you believe that I am still running the old appliance along with the new version!

zennifer_0-1596834671882.png

And, I want to change my maybe to a yes   - thanks - Zennifer

• One thing that is currently interesting for me is that a lot of the Alerts I have configured are SWQL based to the complex nature of the event or because a certain field within the DB is being targeted. 

Will there be further improvements in the following:

1) Making more complex alert commands easier to be applied via the web console / GUI

2) Upgrades on the SWQL Product line to enhance the current feature set and adding additional search functionality.... I.E, I know the value due to an alert, but I do not know the DB table it is stored in... Like reverse searches