Dark Theme In a Day

I was supposed to be studying for a Cisco exam today but I ran out of ways to avoid doing study and so turned to creating a dark theme for Solarwinds and I thought I'd share my hard work with you all. I did it all by only entering some additional lines to mainlayout.css. I will look into adding a switcher at some point so my users can choose the default or dark theme but it's late now so that will have to wait for another day:

screenshot1.JPG

NB: Build your own template using GSOCK

Parents
  • I'm pleased to announce that I've uploaded my 'Solarwinds Orion Colourising Kit' to Thwack, a GUI that allows you customise the look of your Orion pages and share the results with others by exporting/importing your projects:

screenshot1.JPG

In brief, I've categorised graphical components into logical groups which can be individually included/excluded. Each component has a dropdown, radio button or colour box where you can make your choices. To change the colour click the required colour box then select from the picker popup. Hit 'go go go', clear your browser cache then refresh the page and it's done in a flash. Whats-more, it does all this without making any changes to the original code other than adding a few lines of css, simply making your browser override the out of the box design locally using the ‘!important’ tag.

For those of you who've been asking for my Dark Theme, I’ve made this the default setup so if you like the look, simply hit the ‘Go Go Go’ button without making any changes.

Download your copy from the Thwack page: Grays Sock (Solarwinds Orion Colourising Kit)

I hope you find the tool useful! Please give it a go and let me know your thoughts, suggestions, questions etc and share your best project exports here.

Now I really must go study for that Cisco exam!...

nb. It was tested on Server 2016, Powershell v5, .net v4 and the latest build of Orion.

• I'm pleased to announce that I've uploaded my 'Solarwinds Orion Colourising Kit' to Thwack, a GUI that allows you customise the look of your Orion pages and share the results with others by exporting/importing your projects:

screenshot1.JPG

In brief, I've categorised graphical components into logical groups which can be individually included/excluded. Each component has a dropdown, radio button or colour box where you can make your choices. To change the colour click the required colour box then select from the picker popup. Hit 'go go go', clear your browser cache then refresh the page and it's done in a flash. Whats-more, it does all this without making any changes to the original code other than adding a few lines of css, simply making your browser override the out of the box design locally using the ‘!important’ tag.

For those of you who've been asking for my Dark Theme, I’ve made this the default setup so if you like the look, simply hit the ‘Go Go Go’ button without making any changes.

Download your copy from the Thwack page: Grays Sock (Solarwinds Orion Colourising Kit)

I hope you find the tool useful! Please give it a go and let me know your thoughts, suggestions, questions etc and share your best project exports here.

Now I really must go study for that Cisco exam!...

nb. It was tested on Server 2016, Powershell v5, .net v4 and the latest build of Orion.

Children
  • I added a note to the download page this morning but Thwack are holding my post back pending moderator approval for some reason so thought I'd better post it here:

It was brought to my attention this morning that Virus Total gives a result of 20 fails out of 70. Before investigating the reason a researcher had already added a note concluding, as I suspected, the reason is due to my embedding of the GUI graphics as base64. I also received another report that McAfee is reporting a Artemis Trojan, which is apparently the name McAfee Labs gives to unknown possible risks. Just to explain my reasoning for using base64: I did this to keep it as a single standalone tool rather than having to have an installer, if requested I can supply the base64 component of code if anyone wishes to pick through it to independently confirm it is safe and reverse it back into .png's.

• Yup....this prevents me from using it on my work system.