I am trying to match items in solarwinds against a list of devices we are paying for coverage on at out company. I have spent a few days trying to create a report that would do this for me, but I haven't been able to get serial numbers/service tags for all devices. I am relatively new to solarwinds so I may not be doing things correctly.
How I have found info for SOME of our devices:
1. Click on the device itself
2. In node details page, scroll down until I find a box labeled "hardware details". This gives me info on "Model" and "Service Tag"
This is the most useful to me so far, as the service tags match what we have on our coverage report. I can easily compare these two in Excel to see what matches. (Unfortunately we have hundreds of devices on our coverage report, so its usefulness has all but evaporated, hence wanting to create a report.)
I am unsure if some devices are running protocol more friendly to SW and as such are able to pull this information while the majority of other are not.
My current report:
1. Caption - Displaying the name of the machine within SW (Displaying given name of machine in SW)
2. Machine Type (Showing manufactures name for the machine IE: Windows 2008 R2 Server, Cisco 3845, Hyper-V Server ect.) This is very useful to me if it can be combined with a serial/service number or model number.
3. Description. Detailed description of device (IE Windows 2016 Server = Hardware: Intel64 Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 2 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 10.0 (Build 14393 Multiprocessor Free). This I plan on removing so things look a little nicer.
4. Service Tag. This is what i actually need. Currently it is only displaying the ST of Cisco 3845, Catalyst 4948, Cisco WSC 6513 and some others that are actually of use (though very few).
5. Description. Showing the manufacture of the device IE windows, cisco, riverbed technology ect.
My company has tasked me with finding out what devices we are actually using that we are paying for, versus what we are paying for and not using.
I need a way of pulling as may serial number/ service tags as possible, export this list (I know how to do this), compare this list to another list of devices my company is paying for coverage on.
I am having trouble pulling a large amount of serial numbers/ service tags
I am more than happy to answer any questions and will do so to the best of my ability. I greatly appreciate any feedback you may have.