This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Certified Professional Exams are Live

**Please see SolarWinds Certified Professional program changes for 2019 for program updates.**

The SolarWinds Academy is excited to announce the official launch of the new and completely updated SolarWinds Certified ProfessionalRegistered program.

Based on the feedback from SCPs around the world, we focused on two key aspects of the program that needed attention: creating lasting value for SCPs and helping SCPs succeed.

We want to create lasting value.

We created the SCP program in 2009 because we knew our customers wanted to demonstrate that they have the skills needed to manage networks effectively using SolarWinds products. Unfortunately, as time passed, the program did not grow with our products. The SolarWinds certification became outdated, and did not hold enough value to be a competitive player on the global IT stage.

To create lasting value, we made two key changes:

• Relevance: To help ensure IT professionals have knowledge of the most current SolarWinds products, the SCP exams will now be updated with each new product release
  • Security: The SCP exams are now provided through online, proctored services so that the world knows that the holder of a SolarWinds certificate is the person who earned it

We want IT professionals to feel pride and a sense of achievement at becoming an SCP.

We want our customers to succeed.

Our customers’ success drives everything we do. Because the world of IT is always growing and changing, continuing education is an integral part of being a successful IT pro. To encourage continued growth, we added several benefits that members can use to increase their knowledge. 

New benefits include:

• SCP webcasts
  • SCP online advanced training
  • SCP invitations to live events
  • SCP study hours with SolarWinds experts
  • Access to select GNS3Registered courses
  • For SCPs working for SolarWinds customers under active maintenance, you will be recognized as an SCP member within the support system and provided with an enhanced support experience

OPTION A

YEAR

BENEFITS

FEE

Expires

Single exam option

• Product exam
  • One exam retake
  • One year of benefits

$200 USD

3 years

OPTION B

YEAR

BENEFITS

FEE

Expires

First Year

• Product exam
  • One exam retake
  • One year of benefits

$200 USD

Your certification is active as long as you are a subscription** member and attend required events/training

Subsequent Year(s)

Same benefits as year one, plus:

• New product exam
  • One exam retake
  • Loyalty recognition
  • Maintain active certification on passed exams*

$200 USD

*Only includes exams that are part of the new SCP program.

**Your subscription does not auto-renew

SCP webcasts: You’ll have access to exclusive live SCP webcasts where you can interact with product managers, Head GeeksTm, and other IT professionals to discuss the future of SolarWinds products. For our members who can’t participate in a live webcast, we’ll record all events and post videos only available to SCPs, along with the comments that you can view as often as you need.

SCP online advanced training: We’re offering advanced-level training for members who want to gain a deeper understanding of SolarWinds products. Our experienced SolarWinds Academy trainers are dedicated to providing the most up-to-date and comprehensive courses for SCP members. Join exclusive live WebExRegistered classes and interact with SolarWinds Academy trainers and other SCP members.

Invitations to live events: Our live events are not only an excellent way to learn more about SolarWinds products, but also provide opportunities to network with other SolarWinds Certified Professionals and SolarWinds team members. Collaborate, network, and get awesome swag all in one place.

You spoke. We listened.

UPDATE: as of 7/12/2018 SCP exams are available for purchase for 60k THWACK points.

Additionally, our THWACK MVPs, will receive one free SCP exam a year. Click here to learn more on how to achieve this status.

We hope that the new SolarWinds Certified Professional program brings you value and enhances your knowledge of SolarWinds products. If you have any questions, please review our FAQs, ask us on THWACK, or send an email to certification@solarwinds.com.

Parents
  • I'm sorry, but I still feel like pricing is completely ridiculous for both options.

Having a SCP doesn't translate to a real word value and at the end of the day it's just not marketable. Having it on my resume doesn't give me the edge over the competition for a job and it sure as heck doesn't increase my salery.

I understand having it makes Solarwinds a better project, it improves Solarwinds the company and that it makes me a better System Admin, I just don't know if that's worth the price of admission.

• I'm sorry, but I still feel like pricing is completely ridiculous for both options.

Having a SCP doesn't translate to a real word value and at the end of the day it's just not marketable. Having it on my resume doesn't give me the edge over the competition for a job and it sure as heck doesn't increase my salery.

I understand having it makes Solarwinds a better project, it improves Solarwinds the company and that it makes me a better System Admin, I just don't know if that's worth the price of admission.

Children
  • I concur with this response, If it added substantial value similar to something of the likes of a Cisco certification I would be a lot more inclined to go this route and continue to stay up to date.

• I would argue that depending on your job role and your company field then it would have some very specific market value. Yes, it isn't as generic as something like Cisco CCNA, but then what do you get back from Cisco once you have passed the exams? The SCP will give you access to continued learning as well as support from SolarWinds in tuning both your own knowledge as well as your current system.

And at the end of the day, if you don't feel it adds any current market value for your job role - don't take it. If you don't need it then why worry!

• Don't get me wrong.  I want the cert and everything that comes along with it. As the administrator of Solarwinds I want to know the product better and I want the best support that we're already paying for.  In the big picture the price for having the SCP is too much.

Look at it this way.  We have 5 people in our team who are Solarwinds admins.  We have 8 APE's and 3 AWS with the likelihood of add more in the future. We have a full suite of Solarwinds products and we're researching adding more products.  Needless to say we pay a lot for support, which to me, now comes off  as "not as good" or "lesser" because no one in my team has a SCP. Despite the fact that we already pay a lot for support and are loyal customers.

Not take into account that I work in the public sector so I have to pay for training out of my own pocket. Plus, if I want to keep the certification, I now to make an annual payment. In theory, in a very short period of time, I can pay $600 out of pocket for certification that doesn't have that much resume value or that isn't in high demand.  All for increased support or training of something that should have already been covered with the purchase of product support.

What I get back for any other certification is, resume value, something that's industry wide valued and recognized. It's something that follows me wherever I go and it pay for something that is already being paid for.  There's a clear line between what a company pays for in terms of support of a product versus what I pay for to recognized as knowing the product.  With this new SCP model it's completely blurred.

• bourlis​ I get what you're saying about high demand, but to be honest - the demand is a bit higher than you think if you're not tethered to a specific locale. Maybe it's the MVP + cert or something else, but on the other hand I get literally 5+ solarwinds job offers a day, and not the linkedin spam kind. There's so much that I can't even speak for as much as I know. I digress.

Anyway, the thing is that SCP's new model is, well, new. So it's going to be a little while before it shows it's real benefit but I don't think we're talking on a scale of years.

• Where are these Solarwinds jobs located? In Australia, I can't see any demand for Solarwinds jobs. It's mentioned every now and then in a job description, but it's just part of a job, not "the" job.

Thanks

• A step in the right direction still has some value...Application certifications may not have that value you would get in any of the more major areas such as Cisco certs, but there is nothing wrong with trying to develop some credibility to any skill

Having a price on it allows them to start giving it some validity, and I agree with that approach.

Now when it comes to support and creativity and quality work, I am hopeful that internally things are good enough to provide some longevity to the company.  This application has a well informed, smart, and involved user base that is more than happy to assist with their products to make them better support and more well designed.  I think that is a good starting point for the company as whole to recognize and take advantage of.  Offering suggestions for what and how they imrprove the products and support is just as important as telling them a customer is unhappy about something.  It all needs to come out, the good the bad and the ugly

-J