It’s not an exaggeration (and probably a bit of an understatement) to say that there’s been some stuff going on lately, both in the wider world and in our SolarWinds-specific corner of it. My goal with this post is to help other community members find the most up-to-date answers to their questions. I suspect many of us are spending time (for ourselves or for our corporate handlers) searching around and bookmarking multiple places, but I thought it might be both efficient and in the spirit of THWACK to have a single place where people could go. To help with that task, I’ve collected what I feel are all the most important links so that people will have a one-stop shop. I’ll do my best to keep it updated as I can, so please comment with anything you think should be added. Please be sure to bookmark and subscribe to this article so you will be informed of any updates to this page.
As this is a labor of love (as well as necessity) I welcome your input. Feel free to suggest additional sources in the comments below – I’ll do my very best to keep this list updated as recommendations are added.
Also, it would be irresponsible for me to present this as anything remotely resembling an “official” list. This is just my cobbled-together offering, independent from (and likely secondary to) anything we all hear from SolarWinds HQ in the coming days and weeks.
SolarWinds Security Advisory Pages
The first, best locations to review for updates are the official SolarWinds Security Advisory pages. They are updated frequently so don’t think that a one-and-done glance is enough.
- SolarWinds Security Advisory
- SolarWinds Security Advisory – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- SolarWinds Security Advisory: RE: CERT Emergency Directive
- SolarWinds Security Advisory: CERT Upgrading Your Environment
- SolarWinds New Digital Code-Signing Certificate
In addition to those locations, there are several places on THWACK where the conversations have continued.
Resources on THWACK
- SolarWinds Update on Security Vulnerability
- A Message to Our Customers
- An Update on SUPERNOVA and Our Support for Customers
- Our Commitment to Cooperation
- Our Plan for a Safer SolarWinds and Customer Community
- New Findings From Our Investigation of SUNBURST
- Technical Analysis of SUNSPOT [CrowdStrike Blog]
- Findings from our Ongoing Investigation
- Continuing our Journey to Becoming Secure by Design
There are also a few good discussions and solutions that I’ve found:
- Antimalware/Antivirus flagging known-good files
- Best Practices for Orion Upgrades
- Check your environment for the SUNBURST vulnerability using the new PowerShell script
- Orion URLs for Firewall Whitelisting
- Customer Upgrade from 2017.3 to 2020.2.1 HF2
- Changing Monitoring Passwords
- Is Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) or other products affected?
- Published SHA256 checksums for latest installers
- General 2020.2.x Upgrade Discussions
Like I said, I’ll do my best to update this list, so if I’ve missed anything you feel is important to help provide details, let me know in the comments.
- 14-JAN-2021: Initial Publish
- 15-JAN-2021: Added link to digital certificate page
- 03-FEB-2021: Added two additional blog links by Sudhakar Ramakrishna