This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Linux/AIX monitoring agent vs SNMP

Hi Team,

We have few AIX and around 200 linux servers to monitor using SAM.I know agent is available for AIX and linux but will it be good to monitor these servers using SNMP? I am also not seeing any template for SNMP based monitoring.Please let us know where we can get templates for SNMP based monitoring.

Also for file system monitoring if we want to suppress alerting for some less important file systems on selected servers, how can we acheive that? Can we do this by making changes in the alerts or we have to change it in template?

Thanks

Suman

Parents
  • Hi Suman,

We have few AIX and around 200 linux servers to monitor using SAM.I know agent is available for AIX and linux but will it be good to monitor these servers using SNMP? I am also not seeing any template for SNMP based monitoring.Please let us know where we can get templates for SNMP based monitoring.

1. To start with you have to add these linux boxes as nodes onto your current environment, its left to you to decide if you want to go with SNMP or Agent based monitoring (don't get confused - templates are the second half of the story, you dont need them to add a node, you can add these devices on NPM you dont need SAM for that). Once you add these nodes via SNMP or Agent based you can monitor Device UP/Down, CPU, Memory, Disk space and interfaces on these Linux Devices.

2. Later on if you need additional monitoring (application monitoring) you could use templates, read more on templates, we will not need additional templates we can create are own templates, in total we have 49 component monitor each component monitor has its own ability (you will understand this once you start working on templates).

Also for file system monitoring if we want to suppress alerting for some less important file systems on selected servers, how can we achieve that? Can we do this by making changes in the alerts or we have to change it in template?

3. Lets take this separately, we can use custom attributes and control this via alerts - you will see a lot of old threads on thwack on how we an achieve this.

• Hi Vinay,

Thanks for the explanation.

Actually we have to utilize SAM to add these nodes as we don't have enough license for NPM. However as you mentioned if we only monitor CPU/Memory/Disk space then SNMP is enough but if we want to monitor some processes or applications then we need templates, is agent pre-requisite to execute the templates on linux servers?

One more thing, i understood that WMI is the best way to monitor Windows server.In this case, will WMI start monitoring CPU/Memory?disk Space automatically like SNMP or we need to deploy "Windows server services and counters" template for this?

Thanks

Suman

• Regarding my 1st question related to licensing, as you said if NPM and SAM

are on same server, and we add one device, by default one license will be

consumed from NPM store.In this case can we say that we will not be able to

discover any device particularly using SAM discovery?

- No, you will be able to discover using SAM.

Your SAM license adds onto your NPM license once you install your SAM on NPM Server. So if you currently have a 2000 device license for NPM and you buy a SAM license for 2000 devices, you can now discover upto 4000 devices. (Please check response from alterego with respect to it)

• Hi,

I have one more query, i have seen somewhere in the discussion if we have SAM node based license then we can only deploy SAM monitors on free APEs and will not be able to poll any NPM specific things. My question is how solarwinds will differentiate b/w SAM and NPM polling when i am polling one server using SNMP??

Does this mean i can only use APEs only for SAM template specific monitoring?

Thanks

Suman

• 1. You can use SAM APE for node discovery + template monitoring.

2. It will not poll NPM specific things - correct, but that wouldn't affect you, you can still monitor the node and base parameters with SAM which are Device up/down, cpu, memory, disk.....

3. SolarWinds Orion will differentiate it based on the license bucket as we discussed yesterday. If you have NPM 2000 and SAM 4000 and say suppose you have 5000 devices in your environment, on 2000 nodes you can capture NPM stats - for example in your environment which has 5000 devices you would be able to monitor interfaces on 2000 nodes only as interface monitoring is NPM functionality on remaining 3000 nodes you cant monitor any interfaces (its like a max limit that you can reach).

• HI aLTeReGo

Bit confused here, "So while you can monitor 6000 nodes and volumes, you can only monitor 2000 interfaces and 4000 components across any of those 6000 nodes". Did you mean for SAM node based licenses its still have limitations on the components monitored or based on the number of nodes monitored?

• If you need polling engies included for both NPM and SAM the I would recommend NAM. While Additional Polling Engines are not included with NPM, they are included with NAM.

• sreenathmp  wrote:

HI aLTeReGo

Bit confused here, "So while you can monitor 6000 nodes and volumes, you can only monitor 2000 interfaces and 4000 components across any of those 6000 nodes". Did you mean for SAM node based licenses its still have limitations on the components monitored or based on the number of nodes monitored?

That's fair. As written I was assuming SAM component based licensing. If you purchase a SAM 4000 node license, and add it to your NPM SL2000, you can monitor a total of 6000 nodes, an unlimited number of volumes, an unlimited number of component monitors across 4000 nodes, and 2000 interfaces.

• Hi,

Another query related to the initial topic for which we started the

discussion.As we understand that basic os parameters for unix/windows can

be monitored through snmp in SAM.Now if we want to monitor any application

i.e. IIS or SQL server which might need WMI connectivity.In this case will

os parameters get monitored through snmp and application will get monitored

through wmi simultaneously or we have to monitor both os and app using wmi?

Question is same for unix env where ssh will replace wmi.

Thanks

Suman

• Application and OS monitoriing technologies are largely unrelated. While some applications may have components which can be monitored via WMI, SAM includes ~50 component monitor types which rely upon a variety of different protocols such as HTTP/S, WinRM, RPC, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SOAP, etc. So how you decide to monitor the node should not dictate application monitoring. As a general rule, both the Agent and WMI are always better than SNMP if either of those are an option. SNMP is fairly limited, and best suited for monitoring network devices. 

• Application and OS monitoriing technologies are largely unrelated. While some applications may have components which can be monitored via WMI, SAM includes ~50 component monitor types which rely upon a variety of different protocols such as HTTP/S, WinRM, RPC, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SOAP, etc. So how you decide to monitor the node should not dictate application monitoring. As a general rule, both the Agent and WMI are always better than SNMP if either of those are an option. SNMP is fairly limited, and best suited for monitoring network devices. 

Children
No Data