This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring processes using SAM

How to monitor multiple processes of different servers of an application using SAM.

• Hello Joseph,

The approach depends on the parameters you want to monitor for the processes.

The most common ones are IOPS, CPU, RAM, Virtual Memory and Availability (Up/Down) for each process. It is important to highlight that those parameters are per process, not per server resources.

SolarWinds SAM has built-in wizard to create a template for all the processes (many processes per template)

If the processes are overlapping between servers, I would suggest to create one template, assign it to all servers and next to disable few processes on different servers (you can disable parts of the template per server, depending on their availability).

However sometimes it is better to create few templates for few group of servers, depending on your use case. You can achieve the final results with both approaches, but choose the one with less work to do.

You can access the wizard with those steps:

SolarWinds Web Console -> Setting -> All Settings -> SAM Settings -> Component Monitor Wizard ->

Next, choose:

- Windows Systems: Process Monitor - Windows (monitoring via WMI)

- Windows Systems: Process Monitor (monitoring via SNMP)

- Linux - Unix Systems: Process Monitor (monitoring via SNMP)

Once you click Next, you will need to fill the necessary information.

- Select Target - This will be your "example" server, on which the template will be created. It is best to choose server with the most processes you want to monitor

- Select Components - Here you will see the list of all processes (imported from server) that are currently running and you can select ones that you are interested in

- Edit Properties - Here you can rename components (processes) and provide custom thresholds, if required. You can also perform a quick test, to see if all is working

- Add to Application Monitor or Template - Here you can define your settings as a new or existing template, so you can also use the wizard for already existing templates of processes

- Assign to Nodes - ...and you can assign it to as many servers as necessary within the wizard (optional)

I hope this will help you.

If you would like to monitor more information from the process itself, this would need to be done via performance counters, events (if applicable) or scripting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Marcin Kazmierczak.

---

IT-Indago Ltd. - Authorized Reseller & SolarWinds Certified SCP Professional

IT-Indago – Be In Control!

• This is a great explanation how to monitor a process. It is going to help me right away with an issue we are having with an application.

One question; Can the poll time be changed? It is five minutes now and I would like to make it one minute while we troubleshoot.

Thanks again for the great instructions kpmarcin!

• Actually, never mind - I just found it.

After creating the new application monitor, click Edit Application Monitor. Right there on the first screen is the option to override the template and change Polling Frequency.

YAY!

• Hello All,

I want to monitor the process Status., whether it is in starting state or not.

Is anyone have scrip for the same.

• I need to monitor the Linux service in SAM. That server is added in SNMP without using creds how to monitor the service status.