how to calculate HCO license ?

Hi All ,

I new to solarwinds HCO.  So far I am on progress learning about HCO. 

I think HCO is good / value for money in terms of products, since its count per node. But I want to make sure about licensing scheme.

please help to answer whether my understanding is right / wrong.

If the customer have 50 physical servers  and  they split into 39 server used as physical server and another 10  installed 3 vm each ( 10 servers x 3 vms = 30 vms )  and 1 installed vcenter 

the needs is to monitor / observe all the servers includeing apps and OS and softwared installed in servers. 

so this is the features that I need from HCO:

NPM : to montitor for CPU , RAM, Network, Disc  utilization

SAM: to monitors App and OS services (win server 2019 / linux redhat)

SCM  to monitor software inventory 

Vman to monitor the VMs 

Total license that I need is 70 license ( bought HCO with 100 node license) ? 

it comes from : 39 physical servers + 1 vcenter + 30 vms ? 

Thanks

Erwin 

• You should be covered, counts are likely to be closer to:  Physical plus Hypervisor hosts plus VMs with additional monitoring (Agent, SAM template, API template, etc.). 

• this documentation is not related to my questions

• I think you are good here. I know its a little convoluted because the confusion lies when you throw in UDT ports or IP Subnets/IPs in the mix. But this is what I have obtained from Solarwinds. 

By default IPAM and UDT and other modules which do not have node as target are sort of deemed X(unlimited) licenses. Also if a Server is monitored for CPU memory from NPM, Application from SAM and inventory for SCM, it will be ultimately 1 node combined. 

If the DNS server has already been added for CPU/Memory and when you wantto add it in IPAM, it should not take away as an extra node license.

Similarly if you add a Switch in NPM for network level monitoring and try to add it in UDT for ports, it wont take away an extra license.

I have suggested Solarwinds to come up with a calculator of sort so that one can key in the details of how someone wants to use all the available modules and it can suggest not just the license count but also the hardware specs needed for poller (or pollers). 

• HCO is really more of a simplification of the licensing since it's entirely node based. You no longer have to calculate how many network elements you need or utilized ip addresses or ports for licensing (these are still important for scalability however!)

But from the licensing perspective it's just node based. You have a switch with 48 ports, you can monitor anything you want on that switch, it's still 1 node towards the license total. If you want to monitor that switch with UDT as well, you've already licensed that 1 node for HCO so now you can look at it with UDT too.

The virtual machines get a little tricker if I recall correctly. It depends on what you want to monitor on them. If you're just wanting basic metrics (CPU, Memory, and Disk utilization) You can just license the Hypervisors and it will get that basic information from the VMs without having to license the VM's.

HOWEVER, if you want to monitor more than that like applications on those VM's or keep track of their configurations, that's when they get licensed as their own node.

So for example, I have a VM that I want to monitor .. say IIS on. That's one towards my license count. Since I'm now looking at that machine from SAM's perspective, I can now also monitor it with SCM or even VMAN from the virtual perspective to manage it. It's still just 1 for the license count despite leveraging multiple modules. That's the benefit of HCO

Also fun fact: Basic regular old ICMP checks (basic up/.down) are totally free with HCO and you don't have to count those for licensing.