Modern Dashboard Custom Property Filtering.

I am attempting to create several modern dashboards displaying information for a few different groups of servers. I have a custom property called Grouptag that I have setup and assigned to these servers. In my modern dashboard is a table showing the node name, CPU, and RAM utilization. I attempted to filter using the global filter in the URL but the table still shows all the nodes, not just the ones with the grouptag. Am I going about this wrong? I just want a dashboard that will display a select group of nodes with relevant information. 

with the nodes 

Parents
  • Howabout if you try this? Adding single-quotes around the text and an escape character to escape it in hopes it treats it like a string. This might not be necessary, maybe it's the query as noted below.

?filters=0_Orion.NodesCustomProperties_GROUPTAG:eq:''OSICorp''

The documentation has an example of using it with custom properties. See https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/success_center/orionplatform/content/core-fusion-dashboard-global-filters.htm#link6 

From my personal testing of this capability... my 2 cents, this functionality could be incredibly useful (enabling dynamic dashboards / reports, re-usable dashboards etc). I doubt many folks are using it. It can't leverage custom properties with underscores in them due to the underscore being used as a special character in the syntax.

It also appeared to matter the specific nature in which the SWQL query was created. For example if you use this SWQL query -- per the documentation this is exactly what the web UI is doing when attempting this. Notice how it's selecting the "Orion.NodesCustomProperties" in the FROM.

SELECT
         n.Node.Caption
        ,n.Node.IP_Address
    FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties AS n
    WITH FILTER ON Orion.NodesCustomProperties WHERE GROUPTAG = 'this' AND InstanceSiteId = 0

If you switch that around to use Orion.Nodes (which is likely what the query is looking at in your widget), it will likely not work.

SELECT
         n.Caption
        ,n.IP_Address
    FROM Orion.Nodes AS n
    WITH FILTER ON Orion.NodesCustomProperties WHERE GROUPTAG = 'this' AND InstanceSiteId = 0

The point being is that it matters what query you're using inside your OSI Corp Servers widget.

Anywho I hope this information helps, since you're in a good spot with a custom property that could actually be used with this, just need to adjust your URI syntax maybe and perhaps the SWQL query used in the widget.

• Yes, I tried quotes before. It changes the syntax to this.

?filters=0_Orion.NodesCustomProperties_GROUPTAG:eq:%27%27OSICorp%27%27

The results are not filtered. Here is the SWQL query for the OSI CORP Servers table.

SELECT TOP 10 n.Caption
          ,n.CPULoad,n.PercentMemoryUsed
          ,n.DetailsUrl
          ,n.Status 
    FROM Orion.Nodes n

• Crazy experiment - what happens if you change the query to start on the Orion.NodesCustomProperties entity?

SELECT TOP 10 [NCP].Node.Caption
          ,[NCP].Node.CPULoad
          ,[NCP].Node.PercentMemoryUsed
          ,[NCP].Node.DetailsUrl
          ,[NCP].Node.Status 
    FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties AS [NCP]

• It worked! I was able to filer with the original URI filter. I had to create a new widget with just the SWQL query but I got it. Thank you very much.

• I like this, opens up some cool possibilities for dynamic dashboard generation as long as we can always tie the widgets we display to a common entity type.

Reply Children
No Data