This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Repeated EventID 31

Hello,

I am receiving constant EventID 31 errors in the Application Event log generated from the SEUM-User-2 profile on our WPM server:

Failed to update Auto Correct user custom wordlist: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.. Spell checking will remain available, but this user wordlist will not be updated.

Failed to update Added Words user custom wordlist: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.. Spell checking will remain available, but this user wordlist will not be updated.

What is causing this and can it be fixed?

Parents
  • Hi,

"The error messages you are seeing indicate that there was an issue with updating a registry key while trying to add a new word to the Auto Correct and Added Words user custom wordlist. The specific cause of this error can be difficult to determine without more context, but it is likely due to a problem with the Windows registry.

Occasionally, certain registry keys can become corrupted or locked, preventing updates or modifications to the key. When this occurs, Windows may mark the key for deletion, which can cause errors like the one you are seeing.

To resolve this issue, you can try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, you may need to use a registry cleaning tool or consult with a computer technician to resolve any underlying registry issues that could be causing the problem. It's also possible that there could be a software conflict or bug causing this issue, so updating your software or reaching out to support may also be helpful."

At least this is what ChatGPT tells about above errors.

I posted it here to give you an idea what stands behind those errors. Base on that If I would have to guess above errors in event viewer could be caused by the WPM Player or Worker due to the fact that it runs a process

runDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351

before and after each playback that is responsible for clearing IE cache - so I thinking that there is a chance that this process can be responsolbe for clearing to much from registery / operating system files which causes those spell checker errors. WPM Player allows to manipulate that 4351 value in its config file (disabling values 8 and/or 16 looks prommising) - reach support to findout how to set it up in WPM Player config file.

Alternativly you can try to disable spellcheck for all SEUM-Users for WPM Worker by following below procedure

1. RDP to WPM Player remote location as SEUM-User-#
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
    3. Type "regedit" and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    4. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SPELLCHECKING
    5. Right-click on the "FEATURE_SPELLCHECKING" folder in the left-hand pane and select "New" > "DWORD (32-bit) Value" from the context menu.
    6. Name the new DWORD value "SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Legacy.Worker.exe" (without quotes) (please check the name of legacy WPM Worker - I'm writing it from memory so I could misstype it).
    7. Double-click on the "SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Legacy.Worker.exe" value and change the "Value data" field to 0 (zero).
    8. Click "OK" to save your changes.
    9. Close the Registry Editor.
    10. Repeat the procedure for other SEUM-Users.

Optionally you can use domain accounts instead and set it up via GPO.

• Hi,

"The error messages you are seeing indicate that there was an issue with updating a registry key while trying to add a new word to the Auto Correct and Added Words user custom wordlist. The specific cause of this error can be difficult to determine without more context, but it is likely due to a problem with the Windows registry.

Occasionally, certain registry keys can become corrupted or locked, preventing updates or modifications to the key. When this occurs, Windows may mark the key for deletion, which can cause errors like the one you are seeing.

To resolve this issue, you can try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, you may need to use a registry cleaning tool or consult with a computer technician to resolve any underlying registry issues that could be causing the problem. It's also possible that there could be a software conflict or bug causing this issue, so updating your software or reaching out to support may also be helpful."

At least this is what ChatGPT tells about above errors.

I posted it here to give you an idea what stands behind those errors. Base on that If I would have to guess above errors in event viewer could be caused by the WPM Player or Worker due to the fact that it runs a process

runDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351

before and after each playback that is responsible for clearing IE cache - so I thinking that there is a chance that this process can be responsolbe for clearing to much from registery / operating system files which causes those spell checker errors. WPM Player allows to manipulate that 4351 value in its config file (disabling values 8 and/or 16 looks prommising) - reach support to findout how to set it up in WPM Player config file.

Alternativly you can try to disable spellcheck for all SEUM-Users for WPM Worker by following below procedure

1. RDP to WPM Player remote location as SEUM-User-#
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
    3. Type "regedit" and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    4. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SPELLCHECKING
    5. Right-click on the "FEATURE_SPELLCHECKING" folder in the left-hand pane and select "New" > "DWORD (32-bit) Value" from the context menu.
    6. Name the new DWORD value "SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Legacy.Worker.exe" (without quotes) (please check the name of legacy WPM Worker - I'm writing it from memory so I could misstype it).
    7. Double-click on the "SolarWinds.SEUM.Agent.Legacy.Worker.exe" value and change the "Value data" field to 0 (zero).
    8. Click "OK" to save your changes.
    9. Close the Registry Editor.
    10. Repeat the procedure for other SEUM-Users.

Optionally you can use domain accounts instead and set it up via GPO.

Children
No Data