This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WPM and Self Signed Certificates

I'm trying to create a recording for a website with a self-signed certificate. I get

I've tried adding the FQDN and IP from the machine hosting the website to the Hosts file on the Orion server, as suggested in the WPM documentation, but this doesn't seem to work.

The documentation also suggests to configure the recording to Skip Certificate Authority validation... but doesn't explain how to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks -- Brent

Parents
  • You can skip this step using the old recorder.

There's layers to this. Errm...:

-Your certificate is good if the (CN) names match, the dates are OK, and there's a chain of objects up to a trusted object.

(Trusted cert store has like RSA in it, RSA says I trust distributor X, distributor X says I trust service Y)

-The note you've referenced is a bit weird.

(Unless there's a integration with HOSTS i'm not aware of) *

-What it's saying is if you've got a cert that says:

Name: TotallyLegitService.Company.Local

and you're accessing: prod-svr-04.company.local/login_page or 192.168.0.99/login_page 

That will fail trust because they dont match the name. What you can do then is make an entry in your hosts file that goes:

192.168.0.99 TotallyLegitService.Company.Local

That way if you navigate to TotallyLegitService.Company.Local you'll get to the place you want to get to, and it will match the name.

- This actually doesnt do anything for self-signed, or expired or untrusted certificates **. For those you need to do stuff like:

-Add the signer to trusted

-give it a new cert

-give it a not-bad cert

-Add the cert itself to trusted

-Add the intermediary-level trust to the intermediary-level group

There's other articles on this, it's not a solarwinds thing at this point it's generic computer stuff.

* / ** I'd love it very much  if we could have the option to ignore bad cert stuff in the new recorder. Might need to change that note whereever it came from

• I wound up using the old recorder, thanks for the tip.

Reply Children
No Data