This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Has anyone had this happen to their wpm?

Hi,

First off. We run the recorders from a VDI environment. Has anyone ever had any issues at all running recorders from a VDI environment? Does it need to be on an app stream? The recorders require us to basically delete a user config file that's generated upon login to be able to login again. For example. I'll go into the VDI I'll clear the config file. Launch the recorders. It'll balk at me saying it experienced an error and do I want to send logs to solarwinds. If I cancel out it gives me the login prompt. I login and can recorder as I normally would. Than I close it down for the day. The next day I go to login. The recorder never prompts for anything. It just comes up on an offline state. Then if you chose file and click to connect to a server it does nothing. It will not connect. But if I follow the steps away and delete that user config file it allows me to login. 

The weird part about this is that it happened suddenly. The recorder was running fine for a whole year if not a bit longer. Then one day it just started giving us this trouble. We contacted solarwinds support and twice was told to uninstall and reinstall.

We did that to no avail. The recorder continues to give us trouble. To our knowledge nothing changed on the VDI. And as far as logs go I can't find anything and solarwinds seems to be on the same page with files I've sent them.

But at the end of the day it is an active problem. Users shouldn't be forced to have to delete the file as a work around just to get the recorder to work. I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar by chance.

And just the other day we had a separate issue happened. On our additional pollers a config XML file just went missing out of no where. We noticed this because it also caused the player on those servers to fail out and since they are on a HA pool, the pool kept failing back and forth due to both servers having failed WPM players on them. Not only that when this seum resource config xml file disappeared it also seem to reset the account settings as I had to reset up all the AD accounts back on to both servers.

Taking the xml file from out primary and putting it on the secondary fixed one problem and re-entering the ad accounts fixed the second problem. But it doesn't answer why the files just disappeared. And that's the root we are trying to find.

If anyone could help with insight that would be great! thanks.

Parents Reply Children
  • I'm not aware of any internal testing done to certify the WPM Recorder for use within a VDI environment. Nor am I aware of a customer I've spoken with that is using the WPM PlayerRecorder in a virtual desktop. I cannot think of any reason why it would not work, I would also not consider myself an authority in all things VDI. 

I know I've spoken to several customers who publish the WPM Recorder as an application via Citrix without issue. One option you may want to consider using login/logout scripts to install/uninstall the WPM Recorder, or deploying the Player as part of group policy. 

• The problem is actually on the recorder side. We don't have any player issues. But the recorder gives us alot of headaches.  I appreciate your reply. I was just wondering if anyone had issues on the recorder side. Support only told me to reinstall. We did that but it did nothing for the problem. 

• Apologies..I meant 'Recorder'. I've updated my response accordingly. That's what I get for multi-tasking.  

• haha No worries. Could there be a possibility this could be environmental issues? I ask because our VDI guys where asking if maybe we could have a security setting too high or maybe something could be blocking access to the file that the recorder needs to function properly? They think it's weird that it ran fine for 1.5 years no problem. Than out of the blue it gives issues and a reinstall doesn't assist us in any way.  I'd be happy to work with support but both times I called in I was told the same thing. "Reinstall and you'll be fine". If I provided ticket numbers would you be able to maybe talk internally with the teams or people involved and see what's the best way forward? We'd love to get this issue resolved. Thanks again for all the responses. 

• Yes, please ping me the ticket numbers and I will discuss internally so we might get you to a better solution.

• 00832540, 00842359, 00792939 This last one is with an AE and it's not specific to the WPM issue but we mentioned it to him and he agreed that a reinstall would fix it.  These tickets all revolve around the same thing. The recorder not working.

• Thanks, give me a bit of time to discuss with a few folks.

• no problem. Thanks for the response

• This definitely does sound like it's security/permissions related. My advice would be to use Procmon and look for any access denied messages when launching the Recorder application within the virtual desktop. It could be either File Permissions or Registry related.

Another, simpler way of diagnosing if it's permissions related is to log in to the virtual desktop as the Administrator. If the problem doesn't occur then, the issue is definitely permissions related. 

• Thanks Alterego! I'm going to talk to my team about this hear. By chance do you know which logs would have the biggest indications of problems? For example if I'm looking at the event viewer would it log anything there? Are there anything in the wpm logs and if so which one would suggest I look under? I'll also run the procmon. I just ask as more evidence the better to show a problem.  Thanks again for the help.