This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Web Performance Monitor and IE 10 / 11

Hi everyone,

There is an issue that has more to do with IE 10 and 11 than with WPM, but the effect is that the new WebCache that is utilized for IE will quickly grow in size into the 10s of gigabytes and fill up a hard drive because it caches every web browse session.

So for each SEUM user, this has to be managed.

Has anyone else encountered this issue when using Web Performance Monitor and IE 10 or 11?

I edited the registry for these users to disable database and caching, but I still haven't seen this be effective, although it may be that I need to reboot the Orion server.

Has anyone else done anything different?

Sincerely,

Jason Hurst.

Parents
  • I've had to deal with this myself,  My VM nodes have limited drive space and I was frequently running out and monitoring would stop until it was cleared.

It's not ideal, but for now, I've implemented a powershell job to run nightly on the players that stops the service, clears out the web cache files and then restarts the service. 

Unfortunately, due to this, we do lose monitoring for a bit of time while the job is running.

Example powershell script (I'm not a powershell scripter, so have no doubt this could be better)

Stop-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

Start-Sleep -s 10

Stop-Process -Name dllhost* -Force

Start-Sleep -s 10

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Start-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

• I've had to deal with this myself,  My VM nodes have limited drive space and I was frequently running out and monitoring would stop until it was cleared.

It's not ideal, but for now, I've implemented a powershell job to run nightly on the players that stops the service, clears out the web cache files and then restarts the service. 

Unfortunately, due to this, we do lose monitoring for a bit of time while the job is running.

Example powershell script (I'm not a powershell scripter, so have no doubt this could be better)

Stop-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

Start-Sleep -s 10

Stop-Process -Name dllhost* -Force

Start-Sleep -s 10

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-4\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-5\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-6\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Remove-Item C:\Users\SEUM-User-7\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat

Start-Service -displayname "SolarWinds WPM Playback Player"

Children
No Data