This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Outside In Monitoring

Hello,

Will the SEUM be able to do outside-in type of monitoring?  IE: We have a publicly available webpage that we host internally.  We'd like to be able to set test points in different states/regions to understand how the site is operating and determine the response times are users are seeing.   I'm assuming the player has to talk back to the Orion server some how.  Was this kind of thing included?

Thanks!

• I was thinking the same thing myself during the demo.  I figured however even if this isn't accounted for it could easily be accomplished with some type of NAT through the firewall if there aren't any other options.

• Having gone through the beta I don't believe there is anything provided for you other than the player. If you have a presence in the states you wish to monitor from you can install the player on pretty much any machine as its very lightweight and it reports the results back to the collector.

If you are a single site getting remote perspectives would be an issue. I believe SW is taking a different approach from the costly hosted providers in the same space by simply giving you the tools (recorder, agents, collector) to set it up as you wish. Having the infrastructure elsewhere to run it on is not included in the box....

• as for the nat out I did test that in our Beta and it does work fine. Of course the perspective provided by that solution doesn't tell you as much as a separate remote location would. 

If you have a separate circuit outbound on a different provider (simple dsl line or something) you could get your remote perspective fairly cheaply, certainly cheaper than from the hosted players.

• Another option would be if you have a remote site with an independent internet connection would be to force the playback traffic through the internet via a route command in the OS and then the data transfer would still take the normal route through the WAN.

• Will the SEUM be able to do outside-in type of monitoring? 

Yes, but you will need to install the player at an external location. While testing, I actually used a couple of Amazon EC2 instances to run the player.  I had one in Virginia and another in Tokyo (Amazon has 5 different regions you can choose from: Virginia, Northern California, Ireland, Singapore, and Tokyo).  

I'm assuming the player has to talk back to the Orion server some how.

All the communications with the player originate from the Orion poller.  All you need to use a player is HTTPS access from your poller to the player.  I didn't have to do anything with our external firewall to be able to use the Amazon instances.

• All the communications with the player originate from the Orion poller.  All you need to use a player is HTTPS access from your poller to the player.  I didn't have to do anything with our external firewall to be able to use the Amazon instances.

The only way I would see that possible is if the poller was already publicly accessible.

• The only way I would see that possible is if the poller was already publicly accessible.

Why's that?  I can connect my browser to https://mail.google.com without my computer being publicly accessible.  

Now the player would have to be publicly accessible since it is outside your firewall.  In that case, I would suggest making sure you set a password for the player so that not everyone can use it.  

• I was referring to the player (external) being able to report back to the poller.  Or does SEUM pull the data in from the players.

• Or does SEUM pull the data in from the players.

Correct.  All the communications are initiated from the Orion poller.  We'll tell the player when it should playback a recording based on your playback interval and we'll ask the player for any playback results every few minutes (I forget the exact amount of time).

• Ok thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon EC2 as well.  I saw a need to be able to test outside in but hadn't given any thought yet as to what I would be testing with.