This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DNS Fail - Transaction errors when using hostname only

FormerMember
FormerMember

We have some recordings that monitor internal websites, which users access by host name only (not the fully qualified domain name). These transactions fail intermittently on the first step, the screenshot shows the page could not be loaded and the error "DNS Fail". They succeed about half the time, but fail a lot.  This host name resolves on all workstations, they all have the same DNS suffix search list. When we logon to these locations and test, the host name resolves every time with nslookup, ping and internet explorer. The Recorder won't even let us Edit the URL to use the FQDN, but we could re-record it with the FQDN if needed.  But this would not be monitoring a real scenario, I'd rather fix the problem.  Any ideas?

• Hello,

WPM is using own local user accounts for playback. Is there any chance that some network settings are applied on domain account level through GPO? WPM accounts are not affected by user-level GPO.

Fact that it sometimes work and sometimes not looks strange but can be caused by different runs using different WPM account (there are 7 on standalone Player). Do you have multiple playback locations and does it fail on all of them? Can you try to stop "SolarWinds WPM Player" service, go to user management in Windows, delete all SEUM-User-# accounts and start "SolarWinds WPM Player" service again?

Another option worth trying may be to use domain accounts for players. If you go to "c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SEUM" there is "SolarWinds.SEUM.AgentDomainConfigurationTool.exe". Run this tool, enable domain accounts and enter credentials for as many accounts that it asks for (2 or 7, based on where Player is installed). Each account on single machine has to be unique but you can use same set of accounts across different machines. It's good practice to create extra accounts just for WPM, it's not recommended to use accounts of real users.Save settings and see if it helps.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jiri.tomek

Thanks for the suggestions Jiri.

>> Do you have multiple playback locations and does it fail on all of them?

Yes, this runs on 15 locations and it never fails for 2 locations, intermittently fails on 10, and always fails on 3. So far we haven't figured out what the differences are.  Example of the intermittent failures:

7/24/2014 6:21 AMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Down
    7/24/2014 6:08 AMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Up
    7/22/2014 5:50 PMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Down
    7/22/2014 5:38 PMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Up
    7/22/2014 4:35 PMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Down
    7/22/2014 4:07 PMEvent TypeTransaction zComm from ATR Win7 Desktop is Up

>> Can you try to stop "SolarWinds WPM Player" service, go to user management in Windows, delete all SEUM-User-# accounts and start "SolarWinds WPM Player" service again?

I tried this on 5 locations, it fixed it on 2 but not on 3. I tried this again but manually deleted the profile folders under C:\Users and this has fixed it every time.  I left a few that are failing, before I fix them by deleting the accounts and profiles, do you have any guesses as to what the exact cause is? I'd like to dig deeper to know what is causing this in case it happens again.

>> Another option worth trying may be to use domain accounts for players.

I have not tried this yet.